Surnames -- Salaj and Pytlak

  • els1012
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 12, 2004
      I'm new to this group and understand that there is a book of Slovak
      surnames. I would appreciate any help in translating my surname. It
      also appears that it is not too common.

      My family name is Salaj. My grandmother's passport
      is spelled Salajova (I assume to indicate the femine gender). Her
      maiden name was Pytla'k.

      Thanks for your help -- Ed
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 16, 2004
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "els1012" <els1012@y...> wrote:
        > I'm new to this group and understand that there is a book of Slovak
        > surnames. I would appreciate any help in translating my surname.
        It
        > also appears that it is not too common.
        >
        > My family name is Salaj. My grandmother's passport
        > is spelled Salajova (I assume to indicate the femine gender). Her
        > maiden name was Pytla'k.
        >
        > Thanks for your help -- Ed

        If surname was Salaj it could be from Hungary, Slovakia, Croatia, or
        Poland.
        -ová suffixe (fem. gender) suggests Slovakia.
        a) If Hungarian passport (U'tlevél-Passeport) then probably Slovakia
        or Hungary.

        If surnames was Pytlak it could be from Austrian-Poland,
        Russian-Poland, Austria, or Ukraine.
        b) Austria and Galicia (Austrian-Poland) would mean an Austrian
        passport (Reise-Pass-Paszport) in German.

        What was paasport title on page 1 ? a) or b) above ?

        Frank K
      • Zuzana Novakova
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 14, 2004
          I just read your email about these names. This is really interesting. Last year I was a translator for a couple from CA that went to Slovakia to search for their relatives and they were mainly searching for Salaj, but if I remember correctly, there was name Pytlak in their family also...maybe you are related? :) I just thought that was interesting. We found some living relatives also (very old, but living :) )

          Zuzana

          els1012 <els1012@...> wrote:
          I'm new to this group and understand that there is a book of Slovak
          surnames. I would appreciate any help in translating my surname. It
          also appears that it is not too common.

          My family name is Salaj. My grandmother's passport
          is spelled Salajova (I assume to indicate the femine gender). Her
          maiden name was Pytla'k.

          Thanks for your help -- Ed

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          * * * * * * *

          "Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you." MATTHEW 5:42

          "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." MATTHEW 7:7

        • Frank
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 15, 2004
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Zuzana Novakova
            <zajacik_2000@y...> wrote:
            > I just read your email about these names. This is really
            interesting. Last year I was a translator for a couple from CA that
            went to Slovakia to search for their relatives and they were mainly
            searching for Salaj, but if I remember correctly, there was name
            Pytlak in their family also...maybe you are related? :) I just thought
            that was interesting. We found some living relatives also (very old,
            but living :) )

            > Zuzana
            >

            > els1012 <els1012@y...> wrote:
            > I'm new to this group and understand that there is a book of Slovak
            > surnames. I would appreciate any help in translating my surname.
            It
            > also appears that it is not too common.
            >
            > My family name is Salaj. My grandmother's passport
            > is spelled Salajova (I assume to indicate the femine gender). Her
            > maiden name was Pytla'k.
            >
            > Thanks for your help -- Ed

            Novak derived from adj. meaning "new" (i.e. a new neighbor, a newman)
            is the most common Czech surname.
            Neuman in German.
            In Slovakia, Novak, Novacek, Novcik, Novacky, Novakovic, etc.

            The Hungarian surname Horvát/Horváth meaning Croatian/Croat is the
            fifth most common surname in Hungary, probably 50,000 surname bearers.

            In Slovak pytliak means "a poacher" (i.e. hunt or fish illegally)
            Probably 150-200 surname Pytlak bearers in the US.
            Most of the surnames Pytlak who emigrated to US were from former
            Austrian-Poland (Galicia)

            The Slovak telephone directory lists 5 surnames Salaj and 1 surname
            Salajová (fem. gender) under Cinoban^a, Slovakia.
            Some surnames Salaj who had emigrated to US were from Croatia, not
            Slovakia.

            What did the surnames speak ?

            How are you ? English

            Wie geht es Ihnen ? German