Re: [S-R] Re: Gajdos

  • Donna Lachney
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 11, 2004
      Marilyn, Hi...don't know if there is any name connection or not. Gajdos is a popular name in Europe. I would love to know more about them. We can keep looking and see if there is anything connected to the names...Goodness you never know.

      Donna

      MA Bensh <mabensh@...> wrote: Donna -

      My gf's mom was Nancy GOYDA according to his death certificate (which as we know is not always the most accurate with names). My data shows that he was from a town in Poland near the Carpathian mountains. Just thought I'd see if your GAJDOS research has led you into this area and, if so, maybe we can compare notes on this name. Thanks.

      Melissa

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 11, 2004
        You're probably right and there is a connection. Gajdos means a
        bagpiper, and gajda or gajdy (plural) is the bagpipe itself. In
        southern Poland where Melissa's name comes from, the dialects
        pronounce many "a"s like "o". It's likely that Goyda is just
        reflecting local pronunciation, and would be Gajda in standard
        pronunciation and spelling.

        So, Melissa, I hope you like bagpipes!

        Joe

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 11, 2004
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Donna Lachney <lacsni@y...>
          wrote:

          > Marilyn, Hi...don't know if there is any name connection or not.
          Gajdos is a popular name in Europe. I would love to know more about
          them. We can keep looking and see if there is anything connected to
          the names...Goodness you never know.

          > Donna
          >

          > MA Bensh <mabensh@y...> wrote: Donna -
          >
          > My gf's mom was Nancy GOYDA according to his death certificate
          (which as we know is not always the most accurate with names). My
          data shows that he was from a town in Poland near the Carpathian
          mountains. Just thought I'd see if your GAJDOS research has led you
          into this area and, if so, maybe we can compare notes on this name.
          Thanks.

          > Melissa

          Gajdos^ in Slovak means " a piper".
          In Polish grajacy na fjarce means " a piper on pipes" (i.e., a long
          tube for making musical sounds)

          Surname Goyda was also spelled Gayda and Guyda in ship manifests.

          Frank K

        • Bohdana Badzio
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 12, 2004
            Hello Donna,

            I have some Gajdos ancestors from Transcarpathia, Ukraine. Not quite
            Slovakia, but I thought I'd ask you where your Gajdos were from
            anyway.

            Bohdana

            wrote:

            > Hello, I thought I would ask for your assistance too! How about
            the names of Lacsni, Lacny, Gajdos, Mlinarcik & Jeriscak? Do you
            find any of those names?

            > I can only imagine what they all went through back in those days.
            >
            > Donna
          • MA Bensh
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 13, 2004
              Bohdana -

              My ggm was Nancy GOYDA (from my gf death cert.). I've been informed that the spelling of the last name might be GOJDA. Of course, that spelling might not be exact either. Her first name I'm sure was anglicized by the person who completed the death cert and I'm guessing it might have originally been Ananstascia. She and my ggf lived in Pulawy, which is in southeastern Poland near the Carpathian mountains. My ggm was married to a Michal BENCZ. Where are your GAJDOS from more specifically?

              Melissa

            • MA Bensh
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 13, 2004
                Joe -

                Thanks for the info on the surname meaning. Funny coincidence - my in-laws were just visiting us on their way back from a trip to Scotland and my mom-in-law mentioned how she hated bagpipes, which were everywhere. I just had to tell her!

                Melissa

                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 13, 2004
                  Frank -

                  Thanks for the other surname variations - now I have more avenues to try.

                  Melissa

                • Bohdana Badzio
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 13, 2004
                    Melissa,

                    my Gajdos are from a little village just north-west of Mukaceve,
                    Ukraine. You can see Mukaceve on MapQuest about 150 km south-east of
                    Pulawy. Gajdos was my paternal ggm. Unfortunately, we are not sure of
                    the village she was from. Her daughter, Anna Petach, lived in the
                    village of Kopynivtsi (in Hungarian, Nagymogyoros) after marrying
                    Vasyl BADZIO in about 1920. This area was part of Chechoslovakia
                    between 1919 and 1939.

                    As someone has mentioned, Gajdos (in various spellings) is a rather
                    wide-spread surname (a dictionary of Hungarian surnames of 16-17 cc.
                    lists a number of instances of this surname). Perhaps one connection
                    between your and mine Gajdos, that I can see, is that both come from
                    a Lemko-populated area.

                    I am not pursuing this line actively, however I am interested in
                    finding descendants of my ggm's brother who, we do know, emigrated to
                    the US. Trouble is, I am still looking for his first name and year of
                    immigration. If you know of any Gajdos who may have come from the
                    area I'm interested in, I'd be happy to hear about them.

                    Regards,

                    Bohdana

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, MA Bensh <mabensh@y...> wrote:
                    > Bohdana -
                    >
                    > My ggm was Nancy GOYDA (from my gf death cert.). I've been
                    informed that the spelling of the last name might be GOJDA. Of
                    course, that spelling might not be exact either. Her first name I'm
                    sure was anglicized by the person who completed the death cert and
                    I'm guessing it might have originally been Ananstascia. She and my
                    ggf lived in Pulawy, which is in southeastern Poland near the
                    Carpathian mountains. My ggm was married to a Michal BENCZ. Where
                    are your GAJDOS from more specifically?

                    > Melissa

                  • Richard D. Custer
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 13, 2004
                      Bohdana,
                      What makes you say that the people who live around Mukachevo are Lemkos?

                      RDC

                      > my Gajdos are from a little village just north-west of Mukaceve,
                      > Ukraine. You can see Mukaceve on MapQuest about 150 km south-east of
                      > Pulawy. Gajdos was my paternal ggm. Unfortunately, we are not sure of
                      > the village she was from. Her daughter, Anna Petach, lived in the
                      > village of Kopynivtsi (in Hungarian, Nagymogyoros) after marrying
                      > Vasyl BADZIO in about 1920. This area was part of Chechoslovakia
                      > between 1919 and 1939.
                      >
                      > As someone has mentioned, Gajdos (in various spellings) is a rather
                      > wide-spread surname (a dictionary of Hungarian surnames of 16-17 cc.
                      > lists a number of instances of this surname). Perhaps one connection
                      > between your and mine Gajdos, that I can see, is that both come from
                      > a Lemko-populated area.
                      >
                      > I am not pursuing this line actively, however I am interested in
                      > finding descendants of my ggm's brother who, we do know, emigrated to
                      > the US. Trouble is, I am still looking for his first name and year of
                      > immigration. If you know of any Gajdos who may have come from the
                      > area I'm interested in, I'd be happy to hear about them.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > Bohdana
                      >

                      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, MA Bensh <mabensh@y...> wrote:
                      > > Bohdana -
                      > >
                      > > My ggm was Nancy GOYDA (from my gf death cert.). I've been
                      > informed that the spelling of the last name might be GOJDA. Of
                      > course, that spelling might not be exact either. Her first name I'm
                      > sure was anglicized by the person who completed the death cert and
                      > I'm guessing it might have originally been Ananstascia. She and my
                      > ggf lived in Pulawy, which is in southeastern Poland near the
                      > Carpathian mountains. My ggm was married to a Michal BENCZ. Where
                      > are your GAJDOS from more specifically?
                      > >

                      > > Melissa
                    • Bohdana Badzio
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 13, 2004
                        Hello Richard,

                        I spoke of specific villages north-west of Mukachevo, with which I am
                        familiar. The word "lem" is very common in the speech of their
                        inhabitants. However, I do not pretend to be historically accurate: I
                        see that literature sources place Lemko region in the north-west
                        corner of today's Trancarpathia, i.e. further north of the area I'm
                        speaking about.

                        Bohdana

                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Richard D. Custer"
                        <rcuster@e...> wrote:
                        > Bohdana,
                        > What makes you say that the people who live around Mukachevo are
                        Lemkos?

                        > RDC

                      • dot
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 4, 2010
                          John,

                          Please let me know if you received my e-mail and scan sent on 5/30 directly to your personal e-mail address re the Gajdos name. I'm sending this via Slovak-Roots since I have only part of your e-mail address.

                          Dorothy