Re: To Hell on a Sled

  • Maura Petzolt
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2000
      You can also consider that the priests etc just started noting them more
      in the registers.

      I've looked at the Sabinov registers from late 1600's to 1895. Have
      noticed more after 1850 or so registered illegitimate births. But I took
      that as they started keeping better records then, or maybe there was
      some church rule instituted around then of allowing the illegitimate
      births to be registered where they couldn't before.

      Of course, that's just a theory.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 28, 2000
        Well, the absence of a father is not something that can be concealed. All
        Christian infants were baptized, in one church or another, and all baptisms
        were recorded, by strict necessity. Being illegitimate is not a bar to a
        future marriage in a traditional Christian community, but being unbaptised
        is quite another matter.

        This is a Lutheran church record, and illegitimacies occurred from time to
        time as far back as the records go, but not in the numbers I am finding
        beginning in the later 1870's. I think these events are telling us
        something about a time of social upheaval, equivalent to a war lasting many
        years. All the young men going off in groups of fifty or more -- not
        available to take their place in the community -- and the economic pressure
        placed on those left behind... I noticed that many of the unwed mothers
        were servant girls. If I may speculate, it seems possible that families who
        were deprived of a young laboring man might have been forced to send an
        older daughter out to work, and that these farm girls were not prepared for
        the dangers of life away from home. I will have to see what the Roman
        Catholic records from C~ervenica and the Lutheran records from Rankovce show
        about this time period.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 28, 2000
          Well, these things happen in wartime, and this was almost the same kind of
          thing, in terms of the impact at home.