Re: [S-R] Digest Number 1505

  • Joe Mrnka
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2004
      Message: 8

      >>"Hope that you are feeling better. Get Well Soon"
      >
      >Dufam, ze sa uz mas (or "mate", depends on how well you
      >know the person) lepsie. Coskoro sa uzdrav (or "uzdravte",

      >again depends on knowing the person).
      >
      >hope this helps.
      >
      >zuzana
      >
      >>Could somebody please help me translate that into Slovak?
      >>
      >>Thank You,
      >>Gary

      Gary,

      I would add that in English we all speak to each other in
      the plural "you". In Slovak they make a distinction between
      an informal "you" in Slovak "ty" and a formal "you" as in
      "vy". So an informal translation would be:
      Du'fam, z^e sa ma's^ leps^ie. C^oskoro sa uzdrav.

      And a formal as to an elder or an official it would go like
      this:
      Du'fam, z^e sa ma'te leps^ie. C^oskoro sa uzdravte.

      Joe

      http://messenger.yahoo.com/