Naturalizations and Ship Manifests

  • Maura Petzolt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 1999
      Hi everyone....

      Since in the US it's the beginning of a long holiday weekend for 4th of
      July (and lists are usually slow on holidays) .... this might be a good
      time to remind everyone to be sure and get those papers of which our
      ancestors were so proud.... the ones that made them a US citizen.

      There is a detailed guide to getting naturalization papers on my Helpful
      Hints site, so I won't rewrite it here -- please check that out if you
      need to get naturalization papers on any of your people.

      After 1906 (and before that in many states) these papers will give you
      detailed information on exactly when they came over from the old country
      and the name of the ship. You can then use the information on the Hints
      page to find a microfilm of that ship arrival and find them on the
      manifest. It's always a nice addition to any family history to have the
      name of the ship they arrived on, even if it doesn't give you any new
      information.

      I'll be happy to help anyone who's having problems getting these items,
      just send a note to the list (so we can all learn) and I'll do what I
      can to answer you, but please read those sections first.

      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching