Re: Michael Strank

  • Richard D. Custer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 7, 2004
      Caroline,
      The May/June 2000 issue of the _New Rusyn Times_ cover story was "A Rusyn
      American Hero: Sergeant Michael Strank". The _NRT_ is published by the
      Carpatho-Rusyn Society (& edited by me), www.c-rs.org

      Michael's birthplace was Orjabyna (as the locals call it in their Rusyn
      language), Jarabina in the present-day official Slovak. At some point early
      in the 20th century it was also referred to as Jarembina, but Orjabyna
      (ore-ya-BINN-ah) is the true native name of the village.

      Michael's father was Vasyl' Strenk and his mother was Marta Grofik. I
      believe Anthony Strank of Laurel, MD is a cousin of Michael.

      Rich Custer