Re: To Hell on a Sled

  • Jim Honeychuck
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2000
      My little theory is that the women wanted babies to encourage the men going
      to America to come back, or to send for them.

      I'm trying not to be judgmental about this situation, by the way.

      Jim Honeychuck

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 28, 2000
        You can also consider that the priests etc just started noting them more
        in the registers.

        I've looked at the Sabinov registers from late 1600's to 1895. Have
        noticed more after 1850 or so registered illegitimate births. But I took
        that as they started keeping better records then, or maybe there was
        some church rule instituted around then of allowing the illegitimate
        births to be registered where they couldn't before.

        Of course, that's just a theory.

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
        sabinov@...
        Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 28, 2000
          Well, the absence of a father is not something that can be concealed. All
          Christian infants were baptized, in one church or another, and all baptisms
          were recorded, by strict necessity. Being illegitimate is not a bar to a
          future marriage in a traditional Christian community, but being unbaptised
          is quite another matter.

          This is a Lutheran church record, and illegitimacies occurred from time to
          time as far back as the records go, but not in the numbers I am finding
          beginning in the later 1870's. I think these events are telling us
          something about a time of social upheaval, equivalent to a war lasting many
          years. All the young men going off in groups of fifty or more -- not
          available to take their place in the community -- and the economic pressure
          placed on those left behind... I noticed that many of the unwed mothers
          were servant girls. If I may speculate, it seems possible that families who
          were deprived of a young laboring man might have been forced to send an
          older daughter out to work, and that these farm girls were not prepared for
          the dangers of life away from home. I will have to see what the Roman
          Catholic records from C~ervenica and the Lutheran records from Rankovce show
          about this time period.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 28, 2000
            Well, these things happen in wartime, and this was almost the same kind of
            thing, in terms of the impact at home.

            > My little theory is that the women wanted babies to encourage the men
            going
            > to America to come back, or to send for them.
            >
            > I'm trying not to be judgmental about this situation, by the way.
            >
            > Jim Honeychuck

            Here</a>