Michael Strank

  • pitmom17109
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 7, 2004
      I would be so grateful to anyone who could help us determine whether
      or not my husband is a cousin to the famous World War II hero. My
      mother-in-law's maiden name was Strenk, and her parents were from
      Jarembina (not sure of the spelling). They settled in the
      Johnstown, Pennsylvania area, as did the Stranks (whose name had
      been Strenk originally). If there is a family tree available
      listing Michael's ancestry it would help us in our quest.
      Thank you.
      Caroline Pitman
    • Richard D. Custer
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 7, 2004
        Caroline,
        The May/June 2000 issue of the _New Rusyn Times_ cover story was "A Rusyn
        American Hero: Sergeant Michael Strank". The _NRT_ is published by the
        Carpatho-Rusyn Society (& edited by me), www.c-rs.org

        Michael's birthplace was Orjabyna (as the locals call it in their Rusyn
        language), Jarabina in the present-day official Slovak. At some point early
        in the 20th century it was also referred to as Jarembina, but Orjabyna
        (ore-ya-BINN-ah) is the true native name of the village.

        Michael's father was Vasyl' Strenk and his mother was Marta Grofik. I
        believe Anthony Strank of Laurel, MD is a cousin of Michael.

        Rich Custer