RE: [S-R] Digest Number 1500 - Last Name Vrba

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2004
      Have you traced the LAVKO name to see if there is any relationship?
      It's also quite possible that it's simply wrong. I've have seen a large
      number of error. Just imagine two people speaking in strong accents,
      trying to understand each other. Lot's of mistakes are wrong.
      Bill
      Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 19:24:25 -0000
      From: "Frank" <frankur@...>
      Subject: Re: Digest Number 1498 - Last Name Vrba

      ahoj Gary,

      Think you gave too much credence that typewritten manifests were better
      than handwritten ones. There were 2 ship manifest pages for Anna in
      1923. On one at least two typewriters were used for entries on page
      where # 17 (Anna Vrbajurova) was listed. But her name was not typed on
      the page. She went to her daughter's Helen Finster address in NYC. Anna
      was listed as born in Rados^ina which is located 47 miles NE of
      Bratislava. Last Residence was Sarinsky.

      The typist made other spelling errors.
      For example # 4 was going to Universal Alleggharia CO PA which was
      actually Allegheny CO PA.

      On the other manifest page her name was typed with another typewriter
      as VRBAJUROVA Anna. Last Residence was Sarlusky. Name of nearest
      relative in country of origin: father Alois LAVKO at Sarlusky. S^arlusky
      is located 16 miles SSE of Rados^ina and just NNW of Nitra. Now called
      Luzianky.

      And in 1922 ship manifest for Josef Vrba who was also listed as born in
      Rados^ina. Last Residence was Sarbuski. Expect that it was also
      misspelled and was S^arluzy above. Typewriters were first used for ship
      manifest around 1921 but they didn't seem to increase the accuracy of
      the entries.

      In addition, Anna had supposedly sailed from Le Havre France on SS
      France in September 1923. vessel France (1) was scrapped in 1910 vessel
      France (2) made its last voyage in 1896 vessel France (3) was not built
      until 1957-62

      Frank K

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2004
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, gary.gaba@f... wrote:

        > Thank you Frank!
        >
        > I appreciate the help from you and everyone else.
        >
        > In mentioning the names of the town from which both Josef and Anna
        came
        > from, you refer to it as S^arlusky and then S^arluzy. Are these two
        name
        > derivations of the same town? Is one or the other correct?
        >
        > Another thing that puzzles me is that Anna's Manifest shows the
        "Nearest
        > Relative" as her Father - Lavko, Alois . Now she was 66 years old
        and her
        > maiden name was Miklovic. Makes no sense! Unless - could that be
        > reference to a priest??
        >
        > Does anyone know where were these Manifests created? At the time of
        > Sailing or at the time of Arrival?
        >
        > By the way, regarding SS France - according to Ellis Island, there
        was
        > another built in 1912 and scrapped in 1934.
        >
        > Thanks Again,
        > Gary

        Gary,

        S^arlusky was known by many names :
        Saluska
        Scharluschka (G)
        Ssarlucky
        Sssarlusska
        Sarlóska
        S^arluz^ky
        S^arluzz^ky
        Sarlojsza
        S^arluc^ky-Kajsa
        now called Luz^ianky and located 2 miles NW of Nitra.

        The Slovakia telephone directory lists under Nitra (town)

        6 surname Miklovic^
        1 surnames Vrba
        10 surnames Bulla rather than the misspelled Bull.
        I may have mentioned earlier that Nitranska Blatnica (Sk)
        was located close to Rados^ina.

        EIR list 1646 surnames Bull.
        In 1902 a Joseph Bull. , age 27, married, Hungarian, had emigrated to
        US.
        His Last Residence was listed as Vyitra Sarto (which actually was
        Nyitrasarfo" (H) Nitranska Blatnica (Sk) located about 2 miles from
        Rados^ina and 17 miles distant from Nitra.

        EIR list 138 surnames Bulla.
        However, when a Slavic surname ends in a vowel it gets combined
        with similar Romance language surnames (i.e., Spanish, French,
        Italian, Portuguese, and Romanian)
        Most of the Bulla surname bearers in EIR were from Italy.
        Bulla and Bullova'(fem. gender) are Slovak surnames.

        Since your surnames were born in Rados^ina you really want the
        parish church records for Rados^ina rather than those for Luz^ianky.
        R.C. parish church records 1765-1895.
        The LDS-Mormons don't appear to have filmed them as yet.

        Slovakia is really not wine county.
        However, the town arms for Rados^ina bear a cluster of white
        grapes with a chopping blade on the right and both on a green shield.
        Rados^ina was known for a type of Sauvignon wine.
        Sauvignon Blanc is a popular wine produced by vintners in USA and
        Europe.

        Frank K