Re: [S-R] help with names

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2 4:21 PM
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jeanann Jameson
      <jjeanann2000@y...> wrote:
      > thank-you for getting back to me. recently my mother
      > who has dementia said her uncles name was yacope this
      > is im sure not how its spelled but how she pronounced
      > it. i was thinking it meant jacob. she also told me
      > her mother, magdalena, was called lenie does that
      > sound right? again thanks for the info you already
      > gave me. jeanann
      > --- Zuzana <zajacik_2000@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Jacob = Jakub (in slovak)
      > > Paul = Pavol (in slovak)
      > > Catherine = Katarina (in slovak)
      > >
      > > im not sure about german or hungarian though.
      > >
      > > zuzana
      > >
      > > jjeanann2000 <jjeanann2000@y...> wrote:
      > > hi can someone tell me how to say jacob, paul, and
      > > catherine in
      > > slovac, hungary and german? thanks in advance.
      > > jeanann

      Catherine/Katherine (Kathy, Kathleen, Kitty, Kate) English
      Catharina Latin
      Katalin (Kata, Kati, Kato, Katica, Katika, Katinka, Kató) Hungarian
      Katarina (Katka, Kata, Katuska) Slovak
      Katherina/Catherina (Kathie, Käthe) German
      Katarzyna (Kasienka, Kaska, Kassia) Polish

      Jacob/Jakob (E)
      Jacobus (L)
      Jakob/Jacob (G)
      Jákob/Jakab (Jakabka) (H)
      Jakub (Jabuko, Juro, Jokubas) (Sk)
      Jakub (Jakubek) (P)

      Paul (E)
      Paulus (L)
      Pál (Pali, Palko, Palika, Palcsa, Palus) (H)
      Pavol (Palko, Palo) (Sk)
      Paul (G)
      Pawel (P)

      Frank K

      > > To unsubscribe from this group, go to
      > > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or-
      > > send blank email to
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      > > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
      > >

      > > * * * * * * *
      > >
      > > "Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away
      > > from the one who wants to borrow from you." MATTHEW
      > > 5:42
      > >
      > > "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will
      > > find; knock and the door will be opened to you."
      > > MATTHEW 7:7

      > > removed]

      > http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    • John M,
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2 4:57 PM
        At 01:42 PM 6/2/2004 -0700, you wrote:
        >thank-you for getting back to me. recently my mother
        >who has dementia said her uncles name was yacope this
        >is im sure not how its spelled but how she pronounced
        >it. i was thinking it meant jacob. she also told me
        >her mother, magdalena, was called lenie does that
        >sound right? again thanks for the info you already
        >gave me. jeanann

        http://www.rootsweb.com/~scoconee/names3.pdf

        I'm not certain if anyone has posted the above URL. It is a PDF file that
        gives the given name equivalents in several languages.

        John M
      • Jeanann Jameson
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 2 11:12 PM
          thank-you very much it has helped alot. jeanannn

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 2 11:14 PM
            frank thank-you you folks get back to people right
            away with answeres your a great help jeanann

            http://messenger.yahoo.com/
          • Jeanann Jameson
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 2 11:30 PM
              susan i just got this web address that has a english
              name and its translation for a bunch of countries,
              german, slovac, hungarian and others it is
              www.rootsweb.com/~scoconee/names3.pdf. some great
              stuff here. jeanann
              --- Susan Norton <nortoncrew@...> wrote:
              > Can you tell me how to say joseph, anna and steve?
              > Thanks!Susan

              http://messenger.yahoo.com/
            • John M,
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 3 8:25 AM
                At 11:30 PM 6/2/2004 -0700, you wrote:
                >susan i just got this web address that has a english
                >name and its translation for a bunch of countries,
                >german, slovac, hungarian and others it is
                >www.rootsweb.com/~scoconee/names3.pdf. some great
                >stuff here. jeanann

                For those who may be unaware of this, there is an icon of a floppy disk
                near the upper left on the Adobe Reader tool bar. You can save a copy of
                the given names .pdf file to your hard disk or floppy, etc. by clicking on
                the floppy disk icon and then selecting the storage location.

                John M