RE: [S-R] help with names

  • Zuzana
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2, 2004
      Joseph = Jozef
      Anna = Anna
      Steve = Stefan

      this is in slovak again.

      zuzana

      Susan Norton <nortoncrew@...> wrote:
      Can you tell me how to say joseph, anna and steve?
      Thanks!Susan

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2004
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jeanann Jameson
        <jjeanann2000@y...> wrote:
        > thank-you for getting back to me. recently my mother
        > who has dementia said her uncles name was yacope this
        > is im sure not how its spelled but how she pronounced
        > it. i was thinking it meant jacob. she also told me
        > her mother, magdalena, was called lenie does that
        > sound right? again thanks for the info you already
        > gave me. jeanann
        > --- Zuzana <zajacik_2000@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Jacob = Jakub (in slovak)
        > > Paul = Pavol (in slovak)
        > > Catherine = Katarina (in slovak)
        > >
        > > im not sure about german or hungarian though.
        > >
        > > zuzana
        > >
        > > jjeanann2000 <jjeanann2000@y...> wrote:
        > > hi can someone tell me how to say jacob, paul, and
        > > catherine in
        > > slovac, hungary and german? thanks in advance.
        > > jeanann

        Catherine/Katherine (Kathy, Kathleen, Kitty, Kate) English
        Catharina Latin
        Katalin (Kata, Kati, Kato, Katica, Katika, Katinka, Kató) Hungarian
        Katarina (Katka, Kata, Katuska) Slovak
        Katherina/Catherina (Kathie, Käthe) German
        Katarzyna (Kasienka, Kaska, Kassia) Polish

        Jacob/Jakob (E)
        Jacobus (L)
        Jakob/Jacob (G)
        Jákob/Jakab (Jakabka) (H)
        Jakub (Jabuko, Juro, Jokubas) (Sk)
        Jakub (Jakubek) (P)

        Paul (E)
        Paulus (L)
        Pál (Pali, Palko, Palika, Palcsa, Palus) (H)
        Pavol (Palko, Palo) (Sk)
        Paul (G)
        Pawel (P)

        Frank K

        > > To unsubscribe from this group, go to
        > > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or-
        > > send blank email to
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        > > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
        > >

        > > * * * * * * *
        > >
        > > "Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away
        > > from the one who wants to borrow from you." MATTHEW
        > > 5:42
        > >
        > > "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will
        > > find; knock and the door will be opened to you."
        > > MATTHEW 7:7

        > > removed]

        > http://messenger.yahoo.com/
      • John M,
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 2, 2004
          At 01:42 PM 6/2/2004 -0700, you wrote:
          >thank-you for getting back to me. recently my mother
          >who has dementia said her uncles name was yacope this
          >is im sure not how its spelled but how she pronounced
          >it. i was thinking it meant jacob. she also told me
          >her mother, magdalena, was called lenie does that
          >sound right? again thanks for the info you already
          >gave me. jeanann

          http://www.rootsweb.com/~scoconee/names3.pdf

          I'm not certain if anyone has posted the above URL. It is a PDF file that
          gives the given name equivalents in several languages.

          John M
        • Jeanann Jameson
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 2, 2004
            thank-you very much it has helped alot. jeanannn

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 2, 2004
              frank thank-you you folks get back to people right
              away with answeres your a great help jeanann

              http://messenger.yahoo.com/
            • Jeanann Jameson
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 2, 2004
                susan i just got this web address that has a english
                name and its translation for a bunch of countries,
                german, slovac, hungarian and others it is
                www.rootsweb.com/~scoconee/names3.pdf. some great
                stuff here. jeanann
                --- Susan Norton <nortoncrew@...> wrote:
                > Can you tell me how to say joseph, anna and steve?
                > Thanks!Susan

                http://messenger.yahoo.com/
              • John M,
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 3, 2004
                  At 11:30 PM 6/2/2004 -0700, you wrote:
                  >susan i just got this web address that has a english
                  >name and its translation for a bunch of countries,
                  >german, slovac, hungarian and others it is
                  >www.rootsweb.com/~scoconee/names3.pdf. some great
                  >stuff here. jeanann

                  For those who may be unaware of this, there is an icon of a floppy disk
                  near the upper left on the Adobe Reader tool bar. You can save a copy of
                  the given names .pdf file to your hard disk or floppy, etc. by clicking on
                  the floppy disk icon and then selecting the storage location.

                  John M