Re: [S-R] Digest Number 1498 - Last Name Vrba

  • gary.gaba@firstdata.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2004
      Hi Bill,

      Thanks for your reply! And yes - it is about time I joined in after
      enjoying reading everyone's correspondences for so long! ( And I promise
      you won't get any more of my "out-of-office" messages!! Sorry 'bout
      those!!) Other than having surnames and towns of origin for my heritage,
      the only source I have been able to gather information from has been Ellis
      Island. My parents and Aunts/Uncles have all past on. I was fortunate to
      get limited information from my parents about my grandparents and some of
      my great-grandparents and their homeland towns. Some other time l will ask
      the group about the other family names but for now:

      Almost all of my Mom's family came over from the town of Radosina. My
      Grandparents' name was Bull; Josef and Sidonia Bull from Radosina.
      Sidonia's maiden name was Vrba and she had, I recently found out, 15
      siblings born in Slovakia; Children of Anna (nee Miklovic) and Georg Vrba.
      I have found five of them that came to the U.S. from 1903 to 1923 mostly
      all stating Radosina as their residence.

      The last of the children I could find was Josef Vrba having Residence as "
      Sarbuski, Cz. Slov." according to the Ellis Island Manifest. When my
      Great-grandmother, Anna (Miklovic) Vrba came over in 1923 (her name was
      indicated as Vrbajurova) with her Place of Residence is stated as "
      Sarlnsky, Czechoslovakia" on the E.I. Manifest.
      Note: both the above Manifests were Type-written thus suspect only to
      translation of dialect (verbal) and not deciphered hand-writings.

      As I Mentioned, Anna was a bit senile when she came over at the age of 66
      years. After having 16 children, who wouldn't be!!! But nobody in the
      family can explain the addition of "jurova" to her name. I am sure that
      the record of Ellis Island is hers because the relative to whom she was
      immigrating to live with is definitely one of my grand-aunt's.

      I have received a reply from John Adam and he has stated that her husband's
      name may be part of the Mystery! Note his explanation :

      Vrba Juraj was his name (variation of Georg, Gyorgy, etc. Surname written
      first.) His wife might have been referred to as Vrbova Jurajosne = Mrs
      Juraj
      Vrba in our system. "ova" is the common Slovak designation for a woman's
      name. Some (dim bulb) saw the name and wrote Vrba Jurova = Vrba George's
      woman.

      Your help or ideas would be appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Gary Gaba

      Message: 5
      Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 12:23:34 -0400
      From: "Bill Tarkulich" <bill.tarkulich@...>
      Subject: RE: Digest Number 1492

      Garry,
      Glad to see you chime in! What part of Slovakia is your surname from?

      Regarding the surname. We can attribute the 'OVA to the Slovak
      Language. It came into use about 1918. I have to wonder if Jurova
      wasn't her maiden name. You should see if there are Jura or Jurova in
      her ancestral village. I'd do a quick check of the online phone book,
      then the church books, just to confirm the suspicion. It's not
      definite, but it's worth a shot.

      Bill
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2004
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, gary.gaba@f... wrote:

        > Hi Bill,
        >
        > Thanks for your reply! And yes - it is about time I joined in after
        > enjoying reading everyone's correspondences for so long! ( And I
        promise
        > you won't get any more of my "out-of-office" messages!! Sorry 'bout
        > those!!) Other than having surnames and towns of origin for my
        heritage,
        > the only source I have been able to gather information from has been
        Ellis
        > Island. My parents and Aunts/Uncles have all past on. I was
        fortunate to
        > get limited information from my parents about my grandparents and
        some of
        > my great-grandparents and their homeland towns. Some other time l
        will ask
        > the group about the other family names but for now:
        >
        > Almost all of my Mom's family came over from the town of Radosina.
        My
        > Grandparents' name was Bull; Josef and Sidonia Bull from Radosina.
        > Sidonia's maiden name was Vrba and she had, I recently found out, 15
        > siblings born in Slovakia; Children of Anna (nee Miklovic) and
        Georg Vrba.
        > I have found five of them that came to the U.S. from 1903 to 1923
        mostly
        > all stating Radosina as their residence.
        >
        > The last of the children I could find was Josef Vrba having
        Residence as "
        > Sarbuski, Cz. Slov." according to the Ellis Island Manifest. When
        my
        > Great-grandmother, Anna (Miklovic) Vrba came over in 1923 (her name
        was
        > indicated as Vrbajurova) with her Place of Residence is stated as "
        > Sarlnsky, Czechoslovakia" on the E.I. Manifest.
        > Note: both the above Manifests were Type-written thus suspect only
        > translation of dialect (verbal) and not deciphered hand-writings.
        >
        > As I Mentioned, Anna was a bit senile when she came over at the age
        of 66
        > years. After having 16 children, who wouldn't be!!! But nobody in
        the
        > family can explain the addition of "jurova" to her name. I am sure
        that
        > the record of Ellis Island is hers because the relative to whom she
        was
        > immigrating to live with is definitely one of my grand-aunt's.

        ahoj Gary,

        Think you gave too much credence that typewritten manifests were
        better than handwritten ones.
        There were 2 ship manifest pages for Anna in 1923.
        On one at least two typewriters were used for entries on page where
        # 17 (Anna Vrbajurova) was listed.
        But her name was not typed on the page.
        She went to her daughter's Helen Finster address in NYC.
        Anna was listed as born in Rados^ina which is located 47 miles NE of
        Bratislava.
        Last Residence was Sarinsky.

        The typist made other spelling errors.
        For example # 4 was going to Universal Alleggharia CO PA which was
        actually Allegheny CO PA.

        On the other manifest page her name was typed with another typewriter
        as VRBAJUROVA Anna. Last Residence was Sarlusky.
        Name of nearest relative in country of origin: father Alois LAVKO
        at Sarlusky.
        S^arlusky is located 16 miles SSE of Rados^ina and just NNW of Nitra.
        Now called Luzianky.

        And in 1922 ship manifest for Josef Vrba who was also listed as born
        in Rados^ina.
        Last Residence was Sarbuski.
        Expect that it was also misspelled and was S^arluzy above.
        Typewriters were first used for ship manifest around 1921 but they
        didn't seem to increase the accuracy of the entries.

        In addition, Anna had supposedly sailed from Le Havre France on SS
        France in September 1923.
        vessel France (1) was scrapped in 1910
        vessel France (2) made its last voyage in 1896
        vessel France (3) was not built until 1957-62

        Frank K

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2004
          Frank,
          Nice catch. Excellent detective work. My compliments!

          Yahoo! Groups Links