help with names

  • jjeanann2000
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2004
      hi can someone tell me how to say jacob, paul, and catherine in
      slovac, hungary and german? thanks in advance. jeanann
    • John M,
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1, 2004
        At 07:54 PM 6/1/2004 +0000, you wrote:
        >hi can someone tell me how to say jacob, paul, and catherine in
        >slovac, hungary and german? thanks in advance. jeanann

        Try:

        http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/sc/oconee/misc/foreign-names.txt

        John M
      • Zuzana
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 2, 2004
          Jacob = Jakub (in slovak)
          Paul = Pavol (in slovak)
          Catherine = Katarina (in slovak)

          im not sure about german or hungarian though.

          zuzana

          jjeanann2000 <jjeanann2000@...> wrote:
          hi can someone tell me how to say jacob, paul, and catherine in
          slovac, hungary and german? thanks in advance. jeanann

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          * * * * * * *

          "Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you." MATTHEW 5:42

          "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." MATTHEW 7:7

        • Jeanann Jameson
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 2, 2004
            thank-you for getting back to me. recently my mother
            who has dementia said her uncles name was yacope this
            is im sure not how its spelled but how she pronounced
            it. i was thinking it meant jacob. she also told me
            her mother, magdalena, was called lenie does that
            sound right? again thanks for the info you already
            gave me. jeanann
            --- Zuzana <zajacik_2000@...> wrote:

            > Jacob = Jakub (in slovak)
            > Paul = Pavol (in slovak)
            > Catherine = Katarina (in slovak)
            >
            > im not sure about german or hungarian though.
            >
            > zuzana
            >
            > jjeanann2000 <jjeanann2000@...> wrote:
            > hi can someone tell me how to say jacob, paul, and
            > catherine in
            > slovac, hungary and german? thanks in advance.
            > jeanann

            > send blank email to
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
            >

            > * * * * * * *
            >
            > "Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away
            > from the one who wants to borrow from you." MATTHEW
            > 5:42
            >
            > "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will
            > find; knock and the door will be opened to you."
            > MATTHEW 7:7

            > removed]

            http://messenger.yahoo.com/
          • Susan Norton
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 2, 2004
              Can you tell me how to say joseph, anna and steve?
              Thanks!Susan

              im not sure about german or hungarian though.

              zuzana

              jjeanann2000 <jjeanann2000@...> wrote:
              hi can someone tell me how to say jacob, paul, and catherine in
              slovac, hungary and german? thanks in advance. jeanann

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              * * * * * * *

              "Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who
              wants to borrow from you." MATTHEW 5:42

              "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the
              door will be opened to you." MATTHEW 7:7

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Zuzana
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 2, 2004
                I am pretty sure that your grandmother was saying jacob or jakub. lenie sounds good for magdalena. in slovak it would probably be spelled leni. i don't know anybody with that name, but magdalena...lena...leni...i see where they were comming from.

                zuzana

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 2, 2004
                  Joseph = Jozef
                  Anna = Anna
                  Steve = Stefan

                  this is in slovak again.

                  zuzana

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 2, 2004
                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jeanann Jameson
                    <jjeanann2000@y...> wrote:
                    > thank-you for getting back to me. recently my mother
                    > who has dementia said her uncles name was yacope this
                    > is im sure not how its spelled but how she pronounced
                    > it. i was thinking it meant jacob. she also told me
                    > her mother, magdalena, was called lenie does that
                    > sound right? again thanks for the info you already
                    > gave me. jeanann
                    > --- Zuzana <zajacik_2000@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Jacob = Jakub (in slovak)
                    > > Paul = Pavol (in slovak)
                    > > Catherine = Katarina (in slovak)
                    > >
                    > > im not sure about german or hungarian though.
                    > >
                    > > zuzana
                    > >
                    > > jjeanann2000 <jjeanann2000@y...> wrote:
                    > > hi can someone tell me how to say jacob, paul, and
                    > > catherine in
                    > > slovac, hungary and german? thanks in advance.
                    > > jeanann

                    Catherine/Katherine (Kathy, Kathleen, Kitty, Kate) English
                    Catharina Latin
                    Katalin (Kata, Kati, Kato, Katica, Katika, Katinka, Kató) Hungarian
                    Katarina (Katka, Kata, Katuska) Slovak
                    Katherina/Catherina (Kathie, Käthe) German
                    Katarzyna (Kasienka, Kaska, Kassia) Polish

                    Jacob/Jakob (E)
                    Jacobus (L)
                    Jakob/Jacob (G)
                    Jákob/Jakab (Jakabka) (H)
                    Jakub (Jabuko, Juro, Jokubas) (Sk)
                    Jakub (Jakubek) (P)

                    Paul (E)
                    Paulus (L)
                    Pál (Pali, Palko, Palika, Palcsa, Palus) (H)
                    Pavol (Palko, Palo) (Sk)
                    Paul (G)
                    Pawel (P)

                    Frank K

                    > > To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                    > > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or-
                    > > send blank email to
                    > >

                    > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    > > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                    > >

                    > > * * * * * * *
                    > >
                    > > "Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away
                    > > from the one who wants to borrow from you." MATTHEW
                    > > 5:42
                    > >
                    > > "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will
                    > > find; knock and the door will be opened to you."
                    > > MATTHEW 7:7

                    > > removed]

                    > http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                  • John M,
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 2, 2004
                      At 01:42 PM 6/2/2004 -0700, you wrote:
                      >thank-you for getting back to me. recently my mother
                      >who has dementia said her uncles name was yacope this
                      >is im sure not how its spelled but how she pronounced
                      >it. i was thinking it meant jacob. she also told me
                      >her mother, magdalena, was called lenie does that
                      >sound right? again thanks for the info you already
                      >gave me. jeanann

                      http://www.rootsweb.com/~scoconee/names3.pdf

                      I'm not certain if anyone has posted the above URL. It is a PDF file that
                      gives the given name equivalents in several languages.

                      John M
                    • Jeanann Jameson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 2, 2004
                        thank-you very much it has helped alot. jeanannn

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 2, 2004
                          frank thank-you you folks get back to people right
                          away with answeres your a great help jeanann

                          http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                        • Jeanann Jameson
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 2, 2004
                            susan i just got this web address that has a english
                            name and its translation for a bunch of countries,
                            german, slovac, hungarian and others it is
                            www.rootsweb.com/~scoconee/names3.pdf. some great
                            stuff here. jeanann
                            --- Susan Norton <nortoncrew@...> wrote:
                            > Can you tell me how to say joseph, anna and steve?
                            > Thanks!Susan

                            http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                          • John M,
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 3, 2004
                              At 11:30 PM 6/2/2004 -0700, you wrote:
                              >susan i just got this web address that has a english
                              >name and its translation for a bunch of countries,
                              >german, slovac, hungarian and others it is
                              >www.rootsweb.com/~scoconee/names3.pdf. some great
                              >stuff here. jeanann

                              For those who may be unaware of this, there is an icon of a floppy disk
                              near the upper left on the Adobe Reader tool bar. You can save a copy of
                              the given names .pdf file to your hard disk or floppy, etc. by clicking on
                              the floppy disk icon and then selecting the storage location.

                              John M