Re: johnson

  • Helenezx@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
      In a message dated 1/28/0 2:33:34 AM, drav@... writes:

      << A lot of German surnames occur >>

      There is an excellent book by Duncan Gardiner - "German Towns in Slovakia"
      which tells about the three areas of German settlement in Slovakia, Spis was
      a major one.
      What's interesting is in some cases the people weren't German at all but were
      from Belgium or Alsace or the Netherlands - this can be learned from the book
      and also approximate dates of settlement for many of the towns as well as the
      old German names - surprisingly the first settlers came as early as the
      1100s. The book has been republished several times and Duncan is an expert on
      this topic and has written several articles on it in our Slovakia newsletter.
      Tho I don't think his book gets into German landowners. I think in this
      region there were many miners and craftspeople.

      helene
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
        Thanks -- curiously enough, there is a Vangor living in Belgium...