Re: johnson

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
      I look forward to that, Greg. A lot of German surnames occur in the
      Lutheran records from Rank and Opina. I wonder, how could we find out who
      the local German landowners were? From the tax records?

      Andrea

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
        In a message dated 1/28/0 2:33:34 AM, drav@... writes:

        << A lot of German surnames occur >>

        There is an excellent book by Duncan Gardiner - "German Towns in Slovakia"
        which tells about the three areas of German settlement in Slovakia, Spis was
        a major one.
        What's interesting is in some cases the people weren't German at all but were
        from Belgium or Alsace or the Netherlands - this can be learned from the book
        and also approximate dates of settlement for many of the towns as well as the
        old German names - surprisingly the first settlers came as early as the
        1100s. The book has been republished several times and Duncan is an expert on
        this topic and has written several articles on it in our Slovakia newsletter.
        Tho I don't think his book gets into German landowners. I think in this
        region there were many miners and craftspeople.

        helene
      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
          Thanks -- curiously enough, there is a Vangor living in Belgium...