Re: johnson

  • Helenezx@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
      In a message dated 1/28/0 12:39:01 AM, jimhoney@... writes:

      << Ruzbachy >>

      There are thermal springs here and a healing spa - in fact this is the only
      place in Slovakia where you can swim in the mouth of a volcanic crater - it's
      in the upper Ruz~bachy.

      helene
    • Gregory J. Kopchak
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
        Koterbachy was originally a German mining settlement in Spis.

        The oldest cemetery is German. The Carpatho-Rusyns moved in during the
        1700's to work the mines with a mass exodus to America circa 1900.

        After World War II, the town was renamed from Koterbachy to Rudnany. It is
        now known as Rudnany today.

        I picked up an ethnicity map for the Austro-Hungarian Empire circa 1815 this
        week and found it to be most interesting. I'll have it posted on line in a
        couple of weeks. It shows areas of what is now the eastern Slovak republic
        to be German.

        Greg Kopchak
        http://www.iarelative.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
          I look forward to that, Greg. A lot of German surnames occur in the
          Lutheran records from Rank and Opina. I wonder, how could we find out who
          the local German landowners were? From the tax records?

          Andrea

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
            In a message dated 1/28/0 2:33:34 AM, drav@... writes:

            << A lot of German surnames occur >>

            There is an excellent book by Duncan Gardiner - "German Towns in Slovakia"
            which tells about the three areas of German settlement in Slovakia, Spis was
            a major one.
            What's interesting is in some cases the people weren't German at all but were
            from Belgium or Alsace or the Netherlands - this can be learned from the book
            and also approximate dates of settlement for many of the towns as well as the
            old German names - surprisingly the first settlers came as early as the
            1100s. The book has been republished several times and Duncan is an expert on
            this topic and has written several articles on it in our Slovakia newsletter.
            Tho I don't think his book gets into German landowners. I think in this
            region there were many miners and craftspeople.

            helene
          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
              Thanks -- curiously enough, there is a Vangor living in Belgium...