Hello from a new member

  • capnkirk_93591
    Message 1 of 6 , May 29 10:31 AM
      My name is Kirk Nitz.

      I am wondering if anyone is an expert or is familiar with Presov?

      My ancestors surnames are Kakara and Dzuresko and they are supposed
      to be from Presov.

      Thanks for your time and this group.
    • John M,
      Message 2 of 6 , May 29 1:21 PM
        At 05:31 PM 5/29/2004 +0000, you wrote:
        >My name is Kirk Nitz.
        >
        >I am wondering if anyone is an expert or is familiar with Presov?
        >
        >My ancestors surnames are Kakara and Dzuresko and they are supposed
        >to be from Presov.
        >
        >Thanks for your time and this group.

        I'm definitely not an expert on Presov but do have relatives living
        there. The Slovak online directory shows Anna Kakarova, in Presov and
        about six other Kakarova and seven Kakara in Slovakia. I did not find any
        Dzuresko in Slovakia but found two Dzuric^ko (pronounced Dzurichko) in
        Presov. http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html

        What have you done to date in trying to confirm their town, locate their
        arrival, etc?

        John M.
      • capnkirk_93591
        Message 3 of 6 , May 30 9:26 PM
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John M," <jmatsko4@c...> wrote:
          > At 05:31 PM 5/29/2004 +0000, you wrote:
          > >My name is Kirk Nitz.
          > >
          > >I am wondering if anyone is an expert or is familiar with Presov?
          > >
          > >My ancestors surnames are Kakara and Dzuresko and they are supposed
          > >to be from Presov.
          > >
          > >Thanks for your time and this group.
          >
          > I'm definitely not an expert on Presov but do have relatives living
          > there. The Slovak online directory shows Anna Kakarova, in Presov
          and
          > about six other Kakarova and seven Kakara in Slovakia. I did not
          find any
          > Dzuresko in Slovakia but found two Dzuric^ko (pronounced Dzurichko)
          in
          > Presov. http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html

          > What have you done to date in trying to confirm their town, locate
          their
          > arrival, etc?
          >
          > John M.

          John:

          Thanks for the info.

          I am against a brickwall and my head is getting sore.

          Do you know how I can contact the Kakaras?

          Kirk
          Message 4 of 6 , May 31 4:43 AM
            Hello Kirk,

            Before you pursue any further self-flagellation, let's try to clarify what
            you're trying to accomplish here.
            Are you looking for relatives? Trying to build a family tree?

            John has also asked you a critical question. What research have you have
            conducted to-date? There are a lot of knowledgeable people here, but we need
            some further guidance from you before we can assist in any substantive way.

            Simply picking up the phone and calling (or writing) people with similar
            surnames is not recommended, without having done adequate research first.
            You'll likely end up calling unrelated people and blow your chance at a
            dialog. People move. Similar surnames are found throughout the country.

            There's no silver bullet here, although much of the information is at your
            fingertips. You have to put some time into doing the detective work, just
            like everyone else on this forum who has been sucessful.

            You'll need to begin by identifying your ancestral villages. It's not that
            difficult to do. There are several stateside sources for this information.
            Most of us have started with little or zero knowledge too.
            I suggest you read this material first
            http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/strategy.htm - A research strategy
            http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm - Identifying your
            ancestor's village(s)
            You can bang your head later after you've exhausted these resources.

            It is also helpful to include in your reply some info about your immigrants.
            Please approximate dates for: birth and immigration, marriage stateside or
            in Europe, Religion, language spoken, places lived.

            It is not suprising you have not found anything in US census. This is a
            snapshot of one day in time. Happens to a lot of us.

            ______________
            Bill Tarkulich

            > >I am wondering if anyone is an expert or is familiar with Presov?
            > >
            > >My ancestors surnames are Kakara and Dzuresko and they are supposed
            > >to be from Presov.
            > >
            > >Thanks for your time and this group.
            >
            > I'm definitely not an expert on Presov but do have relatives living
            > there. The Slovak online directory shows Anna Kakarova, in Presov
            and
            > about six other Kakarova and seven Kakara in Slovakia. I did not
            find any
            > Dzuresko in Slovakia but found two Dzuric^ko (pronounced Dzurichko)
            in
            > Presov. http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html

            > What have you done to date in trying to confirm their town, locate
            their
            > arrival, etc?
            >
            > John M.

            John:

            Thanks for the info.

            I am against a brickwall and my head is getting sore.

            Do you know how I can contact the Kakaras?

            Kirk

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • capnkirk_93591
            Message 5 of 6 , May 31 9:28 AM
              Bill:

              Thanks for your input.

              I am trying to build a family tree but I would also like to
              meet/correspond with kin in the homeland.

              I have researched the USA family back to the people that arrived in
              USA. My great grandfather's children ended in California for the most
              part. The main part of the family remained in Illinois and I have
              their information back to the greatgrandparents which emigrated to
              the USA. Unfortunately, they only know that the family came from
              Presov.

              The family in Illinois are devout Catholics.

              Languages spoken; English, don't know any others that might have been
              spoken.

              Places lived: Streator, Illinois; Colorado Springs, Colorado;
              possibly other places in Colorado like Pueblo and Trinidad (I have
              pictures that were taken in those places; Sacramento, California.

              I checked with the Catholic Church in Sacramento and learned where
              the historical records are kept and they did not have any record of
              my mother or any other Kakara being christened. I hired a pro
              genealogist to search for records of marriage and she found nothing.
              I did learn that my grandmother's first husband married her after
              legend had it that he was dead. It was also after their(?) daughter
              was born. My grandmother died when my mother was 7 at the time and my
              grandfather died when she was 17. When my mother asked about their
              heritage, she was told by her aunts and uncles that "You are an
              American." and that was that. Soooo..........

              The family in Illinois doesn't have much information about Europe.

              Kirk

              Message 6 of 6 , May 31 11:16 AM
                Kirk,
                Yes, we all got many evasive answers.
                So let's continue cataloging what you know. It can provide important clues
                1. Greatgrandparents names. - given and surnames
                2. Did they ever naturalize?

                Draw up a chronology.
                Please provide (or an approximation) of:

                3. year of birth (date of death minus age)
                4. year of immigration
                5. Where did they marry - states or in Europe?
                6. Where were the children born? given names? What years?
                7. What kind of work did you GGF do?

                Have you read http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm ? Which
                of these steps have you conducted?
                It sounds like you may not have looked into:
                - immigration files / ship manifests
                - consulted the Family History Library? They have RC church records for
                Presov. http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/fhl_resources.htm

                Once you provide this info, we can guide you into more specific directions?
                ______________
                Bill Tarkulich

                <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:
                > Hello Kirk,
                >
                > Before you pursue any further self-flagellation, let's try to
                clarify what
                > you're trying to accomplish here.
                > Are you looking for relatives? Trying to build a family tree?
                >
                > John has also asked you a critical question. What research have
                you have
                > conducted to-date? There are a lot of knowledgeable people here,
                but we need
                > some further guidance from you before we can assist in any
                substantive way.

                > Simply picking up the phone and calling (or writing) people with
                similar
                > surnames is not recommended, without having done adequate research
                first.
                > You'll likely end up calling unrelated people and blow your chance
                at a
                > dialog. People move. Similar surnames are found throughout the
                country.

                > There's no silver bullet here, although much of the information is
                at your
                > fingertips. You have to put some time into doing the detective
                work, just
                > like everyone else on this forum who has been sucessful.
                >
                > You'll need to begin by identifying your ancestral villages. It's
                not that
                > difficult to do. There are several stateside sources for this
                information.
                > Most of us have started with little or zero knowledge too.
                > I suggest you read this material first
                > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/strategy.htm - A research strategy
                > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm - Identifying
                your
                > ancestor's village(s)
                > You can bang your head later after you've exhausted these resources.
                >
                > It is also helpful to include in your reply some info about your
                immigrants.
                > Please approximate dates for: birth and immigration, marriage
                stateside or
                > in Europe, Religion, language spoken, places lived.
                >
                > It is not suprising you have not found anything in US census. This
                is a
                > snapshot of one day in time. Happens to a lot of us.

                > Bill Tarkulich

                Yahoo! Groups Links