Re: Zavadka

  • Lisa Rhea Baker
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 27, 2000
      Yes, there is a Zavadka in Spis it's south of Spisska Nov Ves near Hnlicik.
      Thanks for the help with the Churches

      Lisa Rhea Trimbath Baker
      twosocks@...
      http://www.koan.com/~twosocks/genealogy.html
    • Helenezx@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 27, 2000
        In a message dated 1/27/0 9:42:06 PM, jhender3@... writes:

        << I looked at the listing and Zavada
        in Zemplen and Zavadka in Saros. Never knew there were others. Is there
        one in Spis Co.? >>

        Hi Joan - I thought there were just the one each but the Slovak Super atlas
        made me aware of all of them - )This Atlas is 1:100 000 and has so many
        communities that the regular maps don't have tho the 1:500 000 map is
        terrific and has some 1,500 villages & towns listed.)

        What is so confusing - in Spis~, there is one of each! There is a Zavada just
        out side of Levoc~a in Spis~ and a Zavadka near Nalepkovo also in Spis~.

        In doing the Slvoak Pride I noticed that many village names in S~aris~
        also appear in Zempl´┐Żn or Uz~ so the clues on a christening certificate are
        critical - tried to help someone with roots in Jastrabie - there are four
        places in Slovakia with this name. A document from Slovakia had the magic
        S~ar~. on it so we knew it was in S~aris~.

        Also had a terrible time with Hanus~ovce - I thought sure a woman's roots
        were in the Hanus~ovce that everyone knows - when the Mayor never heard of
        her family we looked again and it turns out it was Spis~. Hanusovce - took us
        a long time on that one - but it was all worth it when she found her family
        there!

        helene