Re: johnson

  • Jim Honeychuck
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
      I notice on the linked site that there is a town called Koterbachy, meaning
      Copper Creek. At the point where the records for my family name don't go
      back any further (1640 or so), they were living in the villages of Ruzbachy.
      Would Rich Custer or anybody speculate on the etymology of "Ruzbachy"? The
      church records are RC, not Greek Catholic, so I assume Ruz- is not the same
      as Rus- .

      I have distant relatives named Rusbasan, but again I don't know what to make
      of it.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
        In a message dated 1/28/0 12:39:01 AM, jimhoney@... writes:

        << Ruzbachy >>

        There are thermal springs here and a healing spa - in fact this is the only
        place in Slovakia where you can swim in the mouth of a volcanic crater - it's
        in the upper Ruz~bachy.

        helene
      • Gregory J. Kopchak
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
          Koterbachy was originally a German mining settlement in Spis.

          The oldest cemetery is German. The Carpatho-Rusyns moved in during the
          1700's to work the mines with a mass exodus to America circa 1900.

          After World War II, the town was renamed from Koterbachy to Rudnany. It is
          now known as Rudnany today.

          I picked up an ethnicity map for the Austro-Hungarian Empire circa 1815 this
          week and found it to be most interesting. I'll have it posted on line in a
          couple of weeks. It shows areas of what is now the eastern Slovak republic
          to be German.

          Greg Kopchak
          http://www.iarelative.com

          > An Index from Slovak Pride is available at
          > http://www.iarelative.com/slovakpride/
          >
          > There are also instructions for contacting others researching the surname,
          > adding your surnames, and ordering the complete book.
          >
          > Greg Kopchak

          Looking for the lowest refinance rate for your mortgage?
          GetSmart.com can help. We'll help you find the loan you
          need - quick, easy, and FREE click

        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
            I look forward to that, Greg. A lot of German surnames occur in the
            Lutheran records from Rank and Opina. I wonder, how could we find out who
            the local German landowners were? From the tax records?

            Andrea

          • Helenezx@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
              In a message dated 1/28/0 2:33:34 AM, drav@... writes:

              << A lot of German surnames occur >>

              There is an excellent book by Duncan Gardiner - "German Towns in Slovakia"
              which tells about the three areas of German settlement in Slovakia, Spis was
              a major one.
              What's interesting is in some cases the people weren't German at all but were
              from Belgium or Alsace or the Netherlands - this can be learned from the book
              and also approximate dates of settlement for many of the towns as well as the
              old German names - surprisingly the first settlers came as early as the
              1100s. The book has been republished several times and Duncan is an expert on
              this topic and has written several articles on it in our Slovakia newsletter.
              Tho I don't think his book gets into German landowners. I think in this
              region there were many miners and craftspeople.

              helene
            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
                Thanks -- curiously enough, there is a Vangor living in Belgium...