Re: Zavadka

  • Joan Hendershot
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 27, 2000
      Thanks Helene for setting me straight. I looked at the listing and Zavada
      in Zemplen and Zavadka in Saros. Never knew there were others. Is there
      one in Spis Co.?

      Joan
    • Lisa Rhea Baker
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 27, 2000
        Yes, there is a Zavadka in Spis it's south of Spisska Nov Ves near Hnlicik.
        Thanks for the help with the Churches

        Lisa Rhea Trimbath Baker
        twosocks@...
        http://www.koan.com/~twosocks/genealogy.html
      • Helenezx@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 27, 2000
          In a message dated 1/27/0 9:42:06 PM, jhender3@... writes:

          << I looked at the listing and Zavada
          in Zemplen and Zavadka in Saros. Never knew there were others. Is there
          one in Spis Co.? >>

          Hi Joan - I thought there were just the one each but the Slovak Super atlas
          made me aware of all of them - )This Atlas is 1:100 000 and has so many
          communities that the regular maps don't have tho the 1:500 000 map is
          terrific and has some 1,500 villages & towns listed.)

          What is so confusing - in Spis~, there is one of each! There is a Zavada just
          out side of Levoc~a in Spis~ and a Zavadka near Nalepkovo also in Spis~.

          In doing the Slvoak Pride I noticed that many village names in S~aris~
          also appear in Zempl´┐Żn or Uz~ so the clues on a christening certificate are
          critical - tried to help someone with roots in Jastrabie - there are four
          places in Slovakia with this name. A document from Slovakia had the magic
          S~ar~. on it so we knew it was in S~aris~.

          Also had a terrible time with Hanus~ovce - I thought sure a woman's roots
          were in the Hanus~ovce that everyone knows - when the Mayor never heard of
          her family we looked again and it turns out it was Spis~. Hanusovce - took us
          a long time on that one - but it was all worth it when she found her family
          there!

          helene