Re: Zavadka

  • Joan Hendershot
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 27, 2000
      Thanks Helene for setting me straight. I looked at the listing and Zavada
      in Zemplen and Zavadka in Saros. Never knew there were others. Is there
      one in Spis Co.?

      Joan
    • Helenezx@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 27, 2000
        In a message dated 1/27/0 5:40:21 PM, jhender3@... writes:

        << Zavadka (Slovak) Zavadka (Rusyn) >>

        I find these two places quite confusing as in Slovakia there are 7 places
        named Zavada and 5 named Zavadka - important to use any ohter clues to get
        the right one.

        helene
      • Lisa Rhea Baker
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 27, 2000
          Yes, there is a Zavadka in Spis it's south of Spisska Nov Ves near Hnlicik.
          Thanks for the help with the Churches

          Lisa Rhea Trimbath Baker
          twosocks@...
          http://www.koan.com/~twosocks/genealogy.html
        • Helenezx@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 27, 2000
            In a message dated 1/27/0 9:42:06 PM, jhender3@... writes:

            << I looked at the listing and Zavada
            in Zemplen and Zavadka in Saros. Never knew there were others. Is there
            one in Spis Co.? >>

            Hi Joan - I thought there were just the one each but the Slovak Super atlas
            made me aware of all of them - )This Atlas is 1:100 000 and has so many
            communities that the regular maps don't have tho the 1:500 000 map is
            terrific and has some 1,500 villages & towns listed.)

            What is so confusing - in Spis~, there is one of each! There is a Zavada just
            out side of Levoc~a in Spis~ and a Zavadka near Nalepkovo also in Spis~.

            In doing the Slvoak Pride I noticed that many village names in S~aris~
            also appear in Zempl´┐Żn or Uz~ so the clues on a christening certificate are
            critical - tried to help someone with roots in Jastrabie - there are four
            places in Slovakia with this name. A document from Slovakia had the magic
            S~ar~. on it so we knew it was in S~aris~.

            Also had a terrible time with Hanus~ovce - I thought sure a woman's roots
            were in the Hanus~ovce that everyone knows - when the Mayor never heard of
            her family we looked again and it turns out it was Spis~. Hanusovce - took us
            a long time on that one - but it was all worth it when she found her family
            there!

            helene