Re: Meri / Mari

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Bill Tarkulich
      <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:
      > Especially for Frank K., but anyone please reply,
      >
      > I've noticed on immigration documents of a few different women from
      Slovakia, whose name was "Maria" often times sign their immigration
      papers, or American documents, early on as "Meri" or "Mari".
      Diminutive? Nickname of American "Mary". Can you comment on this?

      > Thanks,
      > Bill
      Bill T

      Etymology of Mary, Maria, Marie (E)

      Maria (Latinate)
      Pronounced: ma-REE-ah

      MARY f English, Biblical
      Pronounced: MER-ee
      Usual English form of Maria, which was the Latin form of the New
      Testament Greek names Mariam or Maria (the spellings are
      interchangeable), which were from the Hebrew name Miriam.

      Maria (It, Sp, Ger)
      Marie (Fr, Port)
      Mária (dim. Mara, Mari, Maris, Marika, Mariska, Macsi, Maca, Matyi,
      Ria, Rika) (H)
      Maria (dim. Maja, Majka, Mana, Marika, Marienka) (Sk)
      Maria, Marja, Marya, Macia (P)
      Marie, Marika, Mana, Marenka (Cz)
      Mare, Marija (Cr)
      Mari, Marija (Sl)
      M a p b R (Cyrillic)
      M a r . ya (Rus)
      M a p i R (Cyrillic)
      M a r ee ya (Ukr)

      William F. Hoffman wrote that " the main cause of name distortion is
      the imprecision inherent in trying to represent spoken sounds in
      writing ".
      If everyone spoke the same language, spoke it the same, and spelled
      it the same, we'd have no problems !

      Frank K