Meri / Mari

    Message 1 of 2 , May 27, 2004
      Especially for Frank K., but anyone please reply,

      I've noticed on immigration documents of a few different women from Slovakia, whose name was "Maria" often times sign their immigration papers, or American documents, early on as "Meri" or "Mari". Diminutive? Nickname of American "Mary". Can you comment on this?

      Thanks,
      Bill
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 2 , May 27, 2004
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Bill Tarkulich
        <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:
        > Especially for Frank K., but anyone please reply,
        >
        > I've noticed on immigration documents of a few different women from
        Slovakia, whose name was "Maria" often times sign their immigration
        papers, or American documents, early on as "Meri" or "Mari".
        Diminutive? Nickname of American "Mary". Can you comment on this?

        > Thanks,
        > Bill
        Bill T

        Etymology of Mary, Maria, Marie (E)

        Maria (Latinate)
        Pronounced: ma-REE-ah

        MARY f English, Biblical
        Pronounced: MER-ee
        Usual English form of Maria, which was the Latin form of the New
        Testament Greek names Mariam or Maria (the spellings are
        interchangeable), which were from the Hebrew name Miriam.

        Maria (It, Sp, Ger)
        Marie (Fr, Port)
        Mária (dim. Mara, Mari, Maris, Marika, Mariska, Macsi, Maca, Matyi,
        Ria, Rika) (H)
        Maria (dim. Maja, Majka, Mana, Marika, Marienka) (Sk)
        Maria, Marja, Marya, Macia (P)
        Marie, Marika, Mana, Marenka (Cz)
        Mare, Marija (Cr)
        Mari, Marija (Sl)
        M a p b R (Cyrillic)
        M a r . ya (Rus)
        M a p i R (Cyrillic)
        M a r ee ya (Ukr)

        William F. Hoffman wrote that " the main cause of name distortion is
        the imprecision inherent in trying to represent spoken sounds in
        writing ".
        If everyone spoke the same language, spoke it the same, and spelled
        it the same, we'd have no problems !

        Frank K