Zavadka

  • Lisa Rhea Baker
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 26, 2000
      Hi,
      Does anyone know where the people of Zavadka, Spis would attend church, Roman Catholic or Greek.

      Thanks
      Lisa Rhea Trimbath Baker
      twosocks@...
      http://www.koan.com/~twosocks/genealogy.html

    • Gregory J. Kopchak
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 26, 2000
        In 1877 Zavadka had 1207 Greek Catholics who attended church in Zavadka out
        of 1229 total population.

        I'm not sure where the 22 non-Greek Catholics went to church or what
        religion they claimed.

        Go to http://www.iarelative.com/koterba.htm for more information on churches
        in the area.

        Greg Kopchak
        http://www.iarelative.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 27, 2000
          Zavadka (Slovak) Zavadka (Rusyn) and Csergozavod (Hungarian) . I note that
          the former district was Saros and the current district is Presov. The film
          nos. are 1791925 and 1791926.

          This was taken from www.carpatho-rusyn.org/films2.htm where there is an
          impressive listing of villiages, former districts, current districts and
          film nos. that was compiled by G. A. Gressa.

          Joan
        • Joan Hendershot
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 27, 2000
            Thanks Helene for setting me straight. I looked at the listing and Zavada
            in Zemplen and Zavadka in Saros. Never knew there were others. Is there
            one in Spis Co.?

            Joan
          • Helenezx@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 27, 2000
              In a message dated 1/27/0 5:40:21 PM, jhender3@... writes:

              << Zavadka (Slovak) Zavadka (Rusyn) >>

              I find these two places quite confusing as in Slovakia there are 7 places
              named Zavada and 5 named Zavadka - important to use any ohter clues to get
              the right one.

              helene
            • Lisa Rhea Baker
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 27, 2000
                Yes, there is a Zavadka in Spis it's south of Spisska Nov Ves near Hnlicik.
                Thanks for the help with the Churches

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 27, 2000
                  In a message dated 1/27/0 9:42:06 PM, jhender3@... writes:

                  << I looked at the listing and Zavada
                  in Zemplen and Zavadka in Saros. Never knew there were others. Is there
                  one in Spis Co.? >>

                  Hi Joan - I thought there were just the one each but the Slovak Super atlas
                  made me aware of all of them - )This Atlas is 1:100 000 and has so many
                  communities that the regular maps don't have tho the 1:500 000 map is
                  terrific and has some 1,500 villages & towns listed.)

                  What is so confusing - in Spis~, there is one of each! There is a Zavada just
                  out side of Levoc~a in Spis~ and a Zavadka near Nalepkovo also in Spis~.

                  In doing the Slvoak Pride I noticed that many village names in S~aris~
                  also appear in Zempl´┐Żn or Uz~ so the clues on a christening certificate are
                  critical - tried to help someone with roots in Jastrabie - there are four
                  places in Slovakia with this name. A document from Slovakia had the magic
                  S~ar~. on it so we knew it was in S~aris~.

                  Also had a terrible time with Hanus~ovce - I thought sure a woman's roots
                  were in the Hanus~ovce that everyone knows - when the Mayor never heard of
                  her family we looked again and it turns out it was Spis~. Hanusovce - took us
                  a long time on that one - but it was all worth it when she found her family
                  there!

                  helene