Hungarian Translation

  • betytowner
    Message 1 of 9 , May 23, 2004
      I recently wrote a letter to Hungary to request information on my
      grandfather Peter Szabo. His village was part of Austria-Hungary. I
      recently received a reply totally written in Hungarian. Since I
      cannot read or write or speak for that matter, Hungarian, any
      suggestions as to how I can get a translation. I tried
      unsuccessfully to find a translation web site. It is a 1 page
      letter that looks like I am being directed to an address in the
      Ukraine.

      Thank you,

      Betty
      Searching for Szabo, Mislai, Bodnar
      Message 2 of 9 , May 23, 2004
        There are plenty of good souls who will do brief translations. If someone
        doesn't respond to you here, there are Hungary discussion groups you should
        consider posting to.

        Hungarian Mailing Lists
        If you are interested in joing this list, just send the command "subscribe"
        HUNGARY-D-request@....
        This is for the digest mode. If you want the postings as individual e-mail
        send the same message to
        HUNGARY-L-request@....

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        I recently wrote a letter to Hungary to request information on my
        grandfather Peter Szabo. His village was part of Austria-Hungary. I
        recently received a reply totally written in Hungarian. Since I
        cannot read or write or speak for that matter, Hungarian, any
        suggestions as to how I can get a translation. I tried
        unsuccessfully to find a translation web site. It is a 1 page
        letter that looks like I am being directed to an address in the
        Ukraine.

        Thank you,

        Betty
        Searching for Szabo, Mislai, Bodnar

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • patskanovo
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 30, 2012
          Ahoj Group,

          I have searched all available sources and Hungarian to English
          dictionaries for a translation of what I beleive is the Hungarian word
          "idosebnek" or possibly "ulosebnek"

          Following the letter "O" in this word is a character that seems to be an
          "S" but is written unlike other examples given....

          I believe I am reading Pilat Mihaly (GC) Pilat Janos, occupation ? son
          of and then Remeniny.

          I will post this to our files if someone would be so kind as to take a
          crack at this...

          Thanks all,

          Dennis
        • Sue Martin
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 30, 2012
            Could it be idosebbnek, which means senior?

            Sue

            I have searched all available sources and Hungarian to English
            dictionaries for a translation of what I beleive is the Hungarian word
            "idosebnek" or possibly "ulosebnek"

            Following the letter "O" in this word is a character that seems to be an
            "S" but is written unlike other examples given....

            I believe I am reading Pilat Mihaly (GC) Pilat Janos, occupation ? son
            of and then Remeniny.

            I will post this to our files if someone would be so kind as to take a
            crack at this...

            Thanks all,

            Dennis

          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 30, 2012
              sebnek is a wound

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 30, 2012
                That is what one on-line Hungarian dictionary was trying to complete for me.....

                Dennis

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Sue Martin" <martin@...> wrote:

                > Could it be idosebbnek, which means senior?
                >
                > Sue

              • patskanovo
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 30, 2012
                  The jury has returned a verdict...

                  He is elder son of Janos (idosebnek legeny fia Janos).

                  Thanks,

                  Dennis

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@...>

                • lacoros@gmail.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 30, 2012
                    I am not so sure with the translation, i would be more with "Janos is the son of the elder" (in case the hungarian text is OK).

                    Where cann i see the picture with the text?

                    Ladislav

                    wrote:

                    > That is what one on-line Hungarian dictionary was trying to complete
                    for me.....

                    > Dennis
                    >
                    > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Sue Martin" martin@ wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Could it be idosebbnek, which means senior?
                    > >
                    > > Sue

                  • Ladislav Rosival
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
                      Ok now i see the file, so the translation is: Pilat Mihaly (g.kat), the son
                      of Pilat Janos senior, living in Remenye. The word leg�ny cann mean in this
                      context that this Mih�ly is not married yet. (I am not sure for 100 % - only
                      for 90 %).

                      Ladislav

                      , "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@...>