About the SLOVAK-ROOTS list

  • Maura Petzolt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2000
      Hi all....

      A few reminders and pointers as it seems we have some new people (up to
      186 now!) and some who were having some problems.

      With onelist, you have more choices as to how to recieve mail....

      Email message - get every message separately
      Daily Digest - get one or two digests a day
      Web only - read messages on the website
      No mail - if you're going on vacation but want to remain on the list

      You can change the way you recieve the list at any time by going to the
      list's page at http://www.onelist.com/community/SLOVAK-ROOTS This is
      also the page to subscribe and unsubscribe from, and from where you can
      search the archives of this list. You must be a member of the list to
      send messages here, and you have to go to that page and register to
      join.

      If you're having problems, just email me privately and I'll help you.
      Basically I check in once a day during the week as I teach school and my
      time is limited then, so if you don't hear from me right away don't
      panic!

      Messages go to SLOVAK-ROOTS@onelist.com

      While the names are alike, this list is not Slovak-World, which many of
      you might also be on. Our membership overlaps somewhat, but is not
      exactly the same. We welcome all those researching in the areas of the
      former Austria-Hungary and Czechoslovakia at any time, as well as those
      researching those relatives wherever they emigrated to. We are a
      "genealogy only" list, and we do not accept posts on off topic things
      such as recipes etc. Postings on culture/language/history and their
      relation to genealogy are fine -- as long as we keep it related somehow
      to genealogy searching. Basically this list was started to give those
      researching in this area a list to use that was not subject to many
      off-topic posts having little to do with genealogy.

      I would encourage all of you to spread the word about our list, as the
      more people who join us in searching together the better all our
      resources will be. Feel free to pass this message on to those you think
      will be interested.

      ps - onelist is a free list host site, and does add advertising to the
      bottom of each message. There is nothing I can do about this, it's the
      "price" we pay for hosting the list here. Even Rootsweb is going to
      advertising on it's lists, so onelist is not much different.... and has
      more options for people to get mail.

      Happy Searching!

      Maura Petzolt
      SLOVAK-ROOTS listowner