Diabolko and Straka research

  • DPAULLR160@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 26, 2000
      Hello:
      My great grandfather was Michael Diabolko (last name later changed to Paull) born in Czechoslovakia 1869. He married Sophia Straka (b. May 15,1869) while in Czechoslovakia. They came to the US around 1894 and settled in McKeesport, PA for a few months before going to Youngstown, Ohio. They were both born in a town called Vikartovec, Spisska Zupa Slovakia. Can anyone help me find out more information regarding their names? How should do I go about this research? I would really like to find out more about them.

      Thank You,
      David Paull
    • Maura Petzolt
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 26, 2000
        Hello David!

        You have many good clues to help you in your research. The first thing
        to do is to organize your information, and work backwards from the 1920
        censuses.

        The basic "timeline" which can be adjusted for different times is

        Death certificates
        1920, 1910 1900 etc censuses
        Naturalization papers
        Passenger ship arrivals
        earlier censuses from date of arrival
        church records of baptisms and marriages
        wills and other legal documents

        You can do most of this in your local Family History Center, and also a
        good deal via email as with naturalization papers. There are sections on
        my Helpful Hints page on each of these items which should help you.

        Coming at the time you state, you should be able to find them easily in
        a passenger ship manifest, and that should tell you good information (as
        details are available after 1892 on location in the "old country"). Port
        of arrival I would guess would either be NY or Philadelphia if they went
        to PA first.

        Hope this helps you!

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
        sabinov@...
        Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
      • DPAULLR160@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 26, 2000
          Dear Maura:
          Thank you very much for your quick response. I think the first thing I am
          going to do is check your Helpful Hints page.

          Thank you again,
          Dave