RE: johnson

  • Gregory J. Kopchak
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 26, 2000
      An Index from Slovak Pride is available at
      http://www.iarelative.com/slovakpride/

      There are also instructions for contacting others researching the surname,
      adding your surnames, and ordering the complete book.

      Greg Kopchak

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
        I notice on the linked site that there is a town called Koterbachy, meaning
        Copper Creek. At the point where the records for my family name don't go
        back any further (1640 or so), they were living in the villages of Ruzbachy.
        Would Rich Custer or anybody speculate on the etymology of "Ruzbachy"? The
        church records are RC, not Greek Catholic, so I assume Ruz- is not the same
        as Rus- .

        I have distant relatives named Rusbasan, but again I don't know what to make
        of it.

        Jim

      • Helenezx@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
          In a message dated 1/28/0 12:39:01 AM, jimhoney@... writes:

          << Ruzbachy >>

          There are thermal springs here and a healing spa - in fact this is the only
          place in Slovakia where you can swim in the mouth of a volcanic crater - it's
          in the upper Ruz~bachy.

          helene
        • Gregory J. Kopchak
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
            Koterbachy was originally a German mining settlement in Spis.

            The oldest cemetery is German. The Carpatho-Rusyns moved in during the
            1700's to work the mines with a mass exodus to America circa 1900.

            After World War II, the town was renamed from Koterbachy to Rudnany. It is
            now known as Rudnany today.

            I picked up an ethnicity map for the Austro-Hungarian Empire circa 1815 this
            week and found it to be most interesting. I'll have it posted on line in a
            couple of weeks. It shows areas of what is now the eastern Slovak republic
            to be German.

            Greg Kopchak
            http://www.iarelative.com

            > An Index from Slovak Pride is available at
            > http://www.iarelative.com/slovakpride/
            >
            > There are also instructions for contacting others researching the surname,
            > adding your surnames, and ordering the complete book.
            >
            > Greg Kopchak

            Looking for the lowest refinance rate for your mortgage?
            GetSmart.com can help. We'll help you find the loan you
            need - quick, easy, and FREE click

          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
              I look forward to that, Greg. A lot of German surnames occur in the
              Lutheran records from Rank and Opina. I wonder, how could we find out who
              the local German landowners were? From the tax records?

              Andrea

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
                In a message dated 1/28/0 2:33:34 AM, drav@... writes:

                << A lot of German surnames occur >>

                There is an excellent book by Duncan Gardiner - "German Towns in Slovakia"
                which tells about the three areas of German settlement in Slovakia, Spis was
                a major one.
                What's interesting is in some cases the people weren't German at all but were
                from Belgium or Alsace or the Netherlands - this can be learned from the book
                and also approximate dates of settlement for many of the towns as well as the
                old German names - surprisingly the first settlers came as early as the
                1100s. The book has been republished several times and Duncan is an expert on
                this topic and has written several articles on it in our Slovakia newsletter.
                Tho I don't think his book gets into German landowners. I think in this
                region there were many miners and craftspeople.

                helene
              • Andrea Vangor
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
                  Thanks -- curiously enough, there is a Vangor living in Belgium...