Re: [S-R] Slovak surnames Pecka, Peczko,

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9, 2004
      In a message dated 5/8/04 11:28:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      JArmata@... writes:

      > sulphur (surely not the last!).

      Joe,
      As awful as having a last name derived from sulphur may seem, it may not be
      such a bad thing. In Poland there is today standing, a sulphur hospital that
      cures arthritis with sulphur's curative powers. It is built atop of a sulphur
      spring. I stayed about a half mile from the hospital when visiting Poland a
      few years ago. (It did smell awful) I made friends with a woman patient
      there and she told me how she went there crippled with arthritis just three months
      previous to our meeting. She could not lift her arms in the air and had
      great difficulty walking. She was fine when i met her and planning to leave the
      hospital soon. People bath in it and drink it and have a regimen of physical
      therapy.
      In Slovakia, my own grandmother came from a spa village that had a sulphur
      spring as the hallmark of the village. maybe someone with a last name derived
      from the word sulphur was a doctor, craftsman or in some way connected to one
      of these springs.
      Of course, maybe they just smelled like eggs. :O)
      Noreen