Re: 1828 Hungarian Census

  • Jim Honeychuck
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 26, 2000
      Al,

      Not to butt in, but my family has a place name remembered (never written)
      only as Spis Stolica. Based on that book, and your knowledge, could "Spis
      Stolica" mean anything else but "Spis County?"

      TIA

      Jim Honeychuck
      Researching Hanicak, Urban, Puhalla

      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 26, 2000
        Andy:

        Is the Nazvy obci na Slovensku on microfilm or microfische?

        If it is fische and you can buy it, it would be great to have.

        Joan
      • Andy Verostko
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 26, 2000
          Its listed only as a Microfilm and the FHC does maintain
          ownership of both fische and film that can only be
          viewed at their site.

          Regartds Andy V.........

          Joan Hendershot wrote:

          > From: "Joan Hendershot" <jhender3@...>
          >
          > Andy:
          >
          > Is the Nazvy obci na Slovensku on microfilm or microfische?
          >
          > If it is fische and you can buy it, it would be great to have.
          >
          > Joan

          > $20 OFF PURCHASES FOR YOUR RABBIT AT PETOPIA.COM!
          > Treat your rabbit to $20 off all the food, toys & treats your rabbit desires whe
          > you purchase $30 or more! Hurry! Offer expires soon!

          Regards

          Andy Verostko

          averostko@...

          http://www.bealenet.com/~averostko
        • Al Stoffa
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 26, 2000
            Jim,

            I have a mountain named Stolica:

            Name Lattitude Longitude Feature Name
            STOLICA 48� 46' N 20� 13' E MOUNTAIN

            Not sure if it's in Spis county. Couldn't find anything else
            historically or currently with the name.

            Al

          • jtgen96
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 17, 2010
              I was looking at some of the oldest messages on this site and found reference to the 1828 Hungarian census. This caused me to wonder if it might be accessible to me and if so would it possibly provide some information we are seeking.

              We are looking for birth records of my husband's great-grandfather. Records, the 1869 Hungarian census, we have found say he was born in Piszana. Calculating back from his death record, which we have found, the year would have been about 1825.

              Piszana records at the FHL start in 1860 and we have been told that records from Piszana prior to this were destroyed in WWII in a big fight between the Russian and German Army.

              If we could access the 1828 census we might have some "back hand" verification that great grandfather's birth did occur in Piszana and we would also have the names of his mother and father and any older siblings. We do not have any of this at this time.

              Any thought regarding the feasibility of the above?

              I suppose searching this record for our ancestor, if we could get it, would be daunting as we know nothing about Hungarian??????
            • CurtB
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 17, 2010
                The 1828 Hungarian census is not a population census, but a census of taxpayers only. It does not show relationships that you are seeking, but may have the family name appearing among the taxpayers in the village. Remember, most people didn't pay taxes.

                Much of the census (all headings) is in Latin, the rest Hungarian, but personal names are readable.

                Curt B.

                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 17, 2010

                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 18, 2010
                    Not difficult at all.
                    The Family History Library has selected territories microfilmed. For a
                    small fee you can view them personally.
                    Records are organized in columnar fashion, with column headings( "headers")
                    being decoded/translated to English. With this header translation, reading
                    the census is quite straightforward and easy.
                    http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/census_1775_1828_examples.htm

                    Bill