      From: William F Brna [mailto:wfbrna@...]
      Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2004 3:11 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [S-R] Digest Number 1466

      Janet,

      About the mddle of the 18th century, two brothers who owned land in what
      is now Serbia went to Orava in northwestern Slovakia and asked for people
      to settle on this land and build a town. Evidently, conditions were so
      bad in Orava that many people took them up on the offer. They founded a
      town, called Petrovec. Most of these people were originally Catholic but
      they had problems with the authorities who were mostly Orthodox. Rather
      than put up with the difficulties many of them became Lutheran, since
      there were already Lutherans in the area and they were accepted. After
      about a hundred years some of the families returned to Slovakia, but did
      not wish to return to Orava so they settled in central Slovakia in
      Martin, Vrutky and Liptovsky Mikulas. In 1924, the president of
      Czechoslovakia asked Slovaks who were living outside Czechoslovakia to
      return. Again, several of the families did. Pavel Brna returned and
      settled in Miloslavov on the Czechoslovak-Hungarian border. His
      descendants still live there. This information was related to me by Jan
      Brna, one oif Pavel's grandsons who now lives in Canada. I had the
      privilege of accompanying Jan to visit his younger brother, Miloslav and
      his family, in September, 2001.

      The people who went to Petrovec from Orava retained their Slovak
      heritage, language and customs.

      William F. Brna

      On Sat, 1 May 2004 15:03:19 -0400 "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...>
      writes:
      > Frank, I find your comment about Lutheran Slovaks quite interesting.
      > I know
      > that there was a considerable pocket of Lutherans in the northern
      > part of
      > Old Hungary, now Slovakia, and in fact they are still a significant
      > minority
      > in that region. Is there some reason that Lutheran Slovaks would
      > have moved
      > to Serbia? Why, for that matter, was there a migration from
      > Slovakia to
      > Serbia at all? (Trying to understand the history.)
      >
      > Janet

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic