      From: amiak27 [mailto:rmat@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 8:16 AM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [S-R] Re: Roma?

      I will think more highly of the critics when they open their own
      borders to the free transit & settlement of Roma. Until that time
      they are running an academic exercise, criticizing the Slovaks for
      not solving problems they, themselves are not willing to face.

      Since Slovakia wishes to join the EU, then let the EU open the
      borders to free transit for free citizens and at the same time insist
      that Slovakia meet minimum standards of EU. Then criticism will be
      justified.

      I see the article as pure propaganda for a perceived cause.

      Ron

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Ranchik" <ranchik@p...>
      wrote:
      > What do you make of this article?
      >
      > http://www.ihf-hr.org/viewbinary/viewhtml.php?doc_id=5367
      >
      > Text included here for ease of reading:
      >
      > Roma in Slovakia: Discrimination, Inequality, Neglect
      >

      > Bratislava and Vienna, 16 March 2004 - In a press conference today,
      > the International Helsinki Federation for Human Rights (IHF) and
      the
      > Slovak Helsinki Committee (SHV) expressed their concerns at the
      > failure of the Slovak government to respect human rights principles
      > and standards before and in the context of the series of riots
      > recently conducted by members of the Roma community in Central and
      > Eastern Slovakia.
      >
      > The riots emerged in February, in reaction to the entry into force
      of
      > a new Slovak law on social benefits (Amendment no. 45/2004 to the
      Act
      > no. 195/1998 on Social Aid). The IHF and the SHV are concerned that
      > parts of this law have a clearly discriminatory intent, such as a
      > provision limiting financial help to large families, which in
      > Slovakia are mostly present among the Roma community. These
      families
      > would see their benefits reduced after the fourth child -- a highly
      > questionable, discriminatory policy.
      >
      > The IHF and the SHV stressed the failure of the state, over the
      last
      > decade, to appropriately address widespread discrimination against
      > the Roma population, in spite of expectations that improvements
      would
      > be brought before the country's entry into the European Union.
      >
      > No significant steps have been undertaken to develop a
      comprehensive
      > strategy vis-à-vis the problems of the large Slovak Roma community,
      > and to address the growing anti-Roma sentiment that has followed
      the
      > February events. "Discrimination, inequality, and neglect of the
      Roma
      > question continue, while the authorities concentrate their energies
      > into countering the alleged damage caused by the Roma on Slovakia's
      > image abroad", said Aaron Rhodes, IHF Executive Director.
      >
      > Discrimination against the Roma population in Slovakia has been
      > rampant for many years, and was only exacerbated by the new law.
      > Racial segregation, including depriving Roma from residence permits
      > in a number of Slovak towns and other unofficial measures carried
      out
      > by local authorities and apartment owners, have led to the
      increased
      > isolation of Roma in slum settlements lacking the minimum modern
      > utilities. The extremely high unemployment rate, which the Slovak
      > authorities often put on account of the "Roma culture" and other
      > stereotypes, is largely due to widespread racial discrimination,
      with
      > e.g. local employment offices accepting to post job announcements
      > stating that Roma would not be considered. The practice of
      > segregating Roma pupils in special neighbourhood schools or placing
      > them in schools for children with developmental disabilities
      remains
      > a burning issue raised regularly by the European Roma Rights
      Centre,
      > an IHF cooperating organisation.
      >
      > Concerned about reports of abuse committed by the large police and
      > military forces deployed in the context of the February riots, the
      > IHF and the SHC are calling upon the state to carry out proper,
      > independent investigations into these abuses. The case of the death
      > of Radoslav Puky is of particular concern for both organisations,
      > which are urging the authorities to carry out proper investigations
      > into the circumstances of the death and to establish an independent
      > committee in charge of the civil supervision of the investigative
      > results.
      >
      > Urgent steps must be undertaken by the authorities to address the
      > increasing intolerance within the majority Slovak population
      towards
      > Roma people.
      >

      > For more information:
      > Aaron Rhodes, IHF Executive Director: +43-1-408 88 22 or +43-676-
      635
      > 6612
      > Ingrid Baumannova, SHC Executive Director: +421-2-5296 8875
      > Henriette Schroeder, IHF Press Officer: +43-676-725 4829

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic