9156Re: how to write village?

  • Frank
    Feb 1, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, bemimitwo@a... wrote:
      > HI GROUP!
      > I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON MY GREAT GRANDFATHER TOMAS M. JISKRA AND
      KEEP GETTING
      > NO PLACE. HE WAS FROM LIPOV NOT SURE IF HE WAS BORN THERE BUT LIVED
      THERE AND
      > STARTED HIS FAMILY THERE.
      > HE WAS BORN 1866 CZ AND DIED IN TOLEDO OHIO. HE MARRIED CATERINA
      SEDLAR BORN
      > 1866 CZ AND DIED 1931 NORTHWOOD OHIO.
      > CHILDREN TOMAS, CATERN, ANNA, JNO ALL CAME TO USA ABOUT 1913
      > THERE WAS SOME TALK OF GREAT GRAND FATHER BEING ADOPTED BY FAMILY
      > SAME LAST NAME POSSIBLE SISTERS?
      > HOW WOULD I FIND THIS OUT? OR WHO SHOULD I CONTACT?
      > THANK YOU JENNIFER

      Jennifer,

      Ako sa más^ ? Slovak
      Jak se máte ? Czech

      Jiskra looks like a Czech surname.
      Czech-Bohemia (including Moravia 1849-1918) was a kingdom

      (10th century-1918) and part of the Österreichisch-ungarische
      Monarchie,
      or in English, Austro-Hungarian Monarchy.
      It was an Austrian Kronland (province)
      Both German and Czech languages were used.

      Mähren => Maehren => Marin => Moravia.
      Mähren was an Austrian Crownland located East of Böhmen
      (Bohemia).
      Its capital was Brünn (Brno).
      Mähren had been a separate crownland until 1849 when it became a
      part
      of Böhmen (Bohemia) together with Österreichisch-Schleisen
      (Austrian-Silesia)

      Lipov is located 156 miles ESE of Praha in the Czech Republic and not
      in
      Slovakia.

      The LDS-Mormons have filmed the parish church records at the Slovakia
      State
      Archives. The film rental is only anout $3.50 per film at your local
      FHC.

      But, not in the Czech Republic because the Czech Archives wanted to
      keep
      this business for themselves.

      You can write the Czech Archives to do the surname research which is
      more expensive.
      Records are written in Czech, German, and Latin.

      You can write them in German, Czech, or English.
      The research report would be written only in Czech.
      If you don't know Czech, you will need to get the narrative report
      translated.

      Czech Archives URLs.

      http://www2.genealogy.net/gene/reg/SUD/sudet_crarch_en.html

      http://www.netway.at/ihff/b.htm