9112Re: Help needed with a surname...

  • Kristi
    Jan 27, 2004
      I believe I am related to the Kormanciks of Oravské Veselé as my
      grandmother's passport listed Veselé as her residence and birth
      place.

      My grandmother's name was Kristina Kormancik, daughter of John
      Kormancik and Mary (Styer) Kormancik. She had 2 brothers, John and
      Stefan, and one sister, Mary.

      How do about tracing my family tree from there and locating long
      lost relatives (children and grandchildren of my grandmother's
      brothers)?

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank <frankur@a...>"
      <frankur@a...> wrote:
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc"
      <konekta@n...>
      > wrote:
      > > Dear Frank,
      > > I found those four under the surname Kormancsik.
      > > The surname Korman, however, is also a legitimate slovak
      surname, of
      > which I have found many on church records.
      > > I would bet, Korman bas the basic surname and Kormancik was
      derived
      > from it..
      > > Regards,
      > > Vladimir
      >
      > Dear Vladimir,
      >
      > You are quite correct.
      >
      > Kormancik (Kormanc^ik)
      > So, -c^ik or -cik were modifiers to the actual root name Korman.
      >
      > And misspelled in ship manifest as Komanczik and Komancsik.
      > From Buková (Sk) Bikszárd (H), Bernolákovo (Sk) Cseklész (H),
      > and Oravské Veselé (Sk) Veszele (H)
      >
      > Korman was the 'root word'.
      > Slovak diminutive forms -ko, -ak, -ek, and -ik were used as surname
      > affixes indicating small size or state /quality (of smallness)
      >
      > Slovak surnames :
      > Korman
      > Kormanak, Kormanik Kormancik, Kormanc^ik, Kormanovic, etc.
      >
      > You are in Slovensko.
      > I haven't been there since 1946 and am not current on surname
      > spellings.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Frank

      I've