8950Re: [S-R] Your expert opinions needed

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Jan 8, 2004
      Since "cold calling" is my job I would like to add a couple of words too.
      There is an interesting difference between the US and Slovakia.
      If I call a person in Slovakia, their first thought is " this must be about
      inheritance or some money".
      If I call a person in US, their first thought is " he wants something from
      me, he will show up at the door,I do not want to be involved in any
      immigration related problems"
      Of course, I simplify, but these are main common denominators.
      Since 9/11, one additional factor came into play; terrorists. Now, everybody
      can also be a potential terrorist or their supporter. Now, since the big
      brother is watching everything already, any contact with a "suspicious"
      person can be dangerous. This is the thinking on the US side.
      I must admit, I do not know the right words to express my deepest
      disappointment over this issue.
      If this will continue, it will be the end of good relations among people.
      If a person has "fear", be it legitimate or "implanted" by propaganda, then
      the sick imagination has no limits any more. Imagination about what bad
      could happen to one and how mean somebody else could be is then predominant
      and always present. (Be on alert)Such thinking can not be a basis for any
      friendly, and sure not honest relationship.
      The problem with cold calling is, that it is very , very, difficult to make
      it look different than a spam.
      Since legitimate and illegitimate spammers are more or less all trained in a
      way, they know all the tricks, how to approach a person and how to generate
      interest.
      Since our researcher is after the same goal, he has to present his case in a
      way, that should generate interest on the other side. If it looks like a
      spam, he is branded as spammer, if it doesn't, he is suspicious.
      The suspicion hysteria, that not so long ago was at home here, is now
      overseas. I can say only one thing; it ruins everything. Forget the
      friendship, forget love. All fake.
      Is this what we want?
      Since presenting a case in a right way is very difficult, non english
      speakers have a big problem.
      They do not know even how to express themselves correctly. If they try
      harder, it is even more suspicious. ( Study the Nigerian scam)
      On the other hand, a slovak person, being called, just can not beleive, that
      there is not some money /property involved. For them, it is impossible to
      believe, that there could be something else, not to mention family love. All
      such cathegories have been killed by the former system which taught
      suspicion and alertness as a duty of every citizen. Love could be present
      only among the inner circle of the family. If you have not been identified
      as one belonging to it, you are out and thus suspicious.
      Internet and e-mails allow many things. In a way, they allow contacts that
      were not possible before.
      On the other hand, they also allow persons to hide their identity.
      If you want to build a good relationship, do not hide behind acronyms. Write
      your full name and test the contact with the snail mail as soon as possible.
      If you are affraid of identity theft, give up genealogy.
      For someone to steal your identity, I imagine, you would have to be rich, at
      least worthwile.
      Such fears remind me of an old woman, who is affraid to be raped.
      When I receive mails from persons with whom I would like to establish a good
      contact, and see, they are hesitating and evasive, I call them by phone and
      settle the matter.
      Since genealogy is about names, dates and places, at least with the dates,
      you do not have to be picky.
      You do not have to give away the full date. A year is enough. The same you
      should expect from your counterparts. I am talking about living persons. The
      rest is no secret.
      Who is a son of whom is known to more than only family members, so it is
      public. ( at least your neighbors know that) Most of the marriages are in
      public and so are the funerals.
      ( Once a Registrar would not tell me, when somebody died. I said, I will go
      to the cemetery and find this out. Go, she said. I went and found.)
      Back to e-mails;
      I don't feel good, when I receive a mail from unknown person, that starts
      with "Hi" and ends with "John"
      This feeling has proven correct in most times.
      Sending mails without addressing the person and without signature is an
      insult.
      Well then, enough of this very early morning poetry.
      With best wishes,
      Vladimir Bohinc