8949RE: [S-R] Your expert opinions needed

    Jan 8, 2004
      Anabeth,
      You make a good point. With so much spam running amok, it's best to write
      an email subject carefully. I like to use surnames and place names to alert
      people when they see a sender (me) that they don't know.

      I spend a lot of time "cold-calling" people in my genealogical work, both by
      email, phone and letter. A well placed letter of introduction is always in
      order. When someone like this writes to you, ask him/her all the same
      questions you might want to write in a letter of introduction.

      The first thing I try to do is prove they are serious in their intent. Many
      people throw out a bunch of names and see what will stick. Very lazy
      approach - they get out what they put in, very little. It has been my
      experience that people who are dead serious about their researcher (those
      are the people you want to talk to) will be willing to share lots of
      information.

      Some questions you should ask:
      Where village are your ancestors from? Where do you live now?
      Have you written to the family in the US? Where are they? What are their
      names?
      Have you written a family tree? Can I see it? What are your surnames?
      Have you looked at village records for family?
      Do you know people of my surname? Who?
      What can you tell me about the village?

      I think it's entirely safe to tell him/her:
      My immigrant ancestor NAME was born about 18xx in and came to the US in
      19yy. His spouse's name was... He had brothers/sisters/parents named etc.
      Have you heard of these names?

      This inquisition should not only demonstrate knowledge, but willingness to
      share, and seriousness of intent. Follow this with a series of measured
      exchanges and see just how helpful s/he is. The overwhelming number of
      people in the SR are incredibly sincere and generous. You also have the
      great pond called the Atlantic Ocean between the two of you. I used to
      worry at first that they would show up at my doorstep someday. That just
      simply isn't going to happen.

      I am in the enviable position of just having opened up "pandora's box" of
      immigrants from the village of Ulic and environs. I have located where a
      large number of them settled and am in the process of matching up American
      with Slovak national families. I have people in Ulic who are looking and
      people in America looking. Even being familiar with the village, you still
      have to approach each introduction with kid gloves. Not only to show I am
      serious, but also to measure how interested the receiving end is. I need
      not tell you how many of our relatives are NOT interested in genealogy!

      Good Luck and tell us how you make out.

      Bill Tarkulich