8866Re: [S-R] terms for family members

  • marianne50614
    Dec 21, 2003
      Thanks for this string of messages re: terms for grandparents, aunts
      and uncles. My cousins and I have been curious about the identity of
      a woman whose identity is listed on the back of her old photo
      as "Strina". The rest of the description we were unable to read
      (sadly, my generation didn't learn to read Slovak or Rusyn).

      Though my cousins and I share at least one great-great-grandfather
      (GGF), we had all heard different terms for "aunt" or "uncle", and
      the replies I've seen here have cleared up why they were different.
      (Our paternal ancestors are related to one another.)

      Question: How would one refer to their godparents? My mother
      referred to her godmother as "Nina" and her godfather as "Bacsi" (I'm
      not sure of the spelling; pronounced "bahch-ee", accent more on first
      syllable). She wasn't sure if these were actually the terms for
      godparents or more "terms of endearment" she was taught to use for
      them.

      MARIANNE

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@n...>
      wrote:
      > Dear Christopher,
      > It is one of the two possibilities, where I would think, it rather
      means
      > brother in law.
      > But, to be sure, one would have to ask somebody, that is more
      acquainted
      > with Rusyn terms of this sort.
      > Vladimir

      Service.