8838Re: [S-R] terms for family members

  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
    Dec 5, 2003
      Kinship terms are really complicated! The old Slavs seemed to
      have a separate word for every sort of relationship; and the old
      terms along with imports from German and Hungarian are often used
      in different ways in different parts of the country.

      Unfortunately, s~vagor can be either: father-in-law or
      brother-in-law, depending on local usage. For father-in-law, it
      traditionally refers to the wife's parents, though it wouldn't be
      surprising if it were used for the husband's father too
      somewhere.

      Tyotka/tetka/tsetka and variations are general terms for aunt.

      Traditionally, terms based on stri-/stry- refer to uncles and
      aunts on your father's side, while those with vuj-/uj- refer to
      uncles and aunts on your mother's side.

      So striko and strina would be uncle and aunt respectively on the
      father's side, while vuyko and vuyna would be the same on the
      mother's side.

      Joe

      > Does anyone know the precise relationship for "sovgor" (shovgor)? Based
      > on some old photos and letters I had thoght "sovgor" meant
      > brother-in-law, but recently some Russian exchange students told me
      > "sovgor" was father-in-law.
      >
      > Recently someone had wrote about the terms used for various family
      > members; in letters from Uzhgorod to my grandmother her neices who grew
      > up in the Austro-Hungarian and Czechoslovak periods addressed her as
      > "Tyutka" - but their children who grew up in USSR after WWII addressed
      > my grandparents as "Strika i Strina". My grandmother sometimes used a
      > word which sounded to me like "way-ka" for "uncle".
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic