      From: Marilyn Sandorf [mailto:msandorf2003@...]
      Sent: Monday, October 06, 2003 9:24 AM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: Spis and PLACKO

      Frank,

      My ancestor Andrej Placko arrived in the US in 1893 at age 18 and lived,
      worked and died in Fayette Co. PA (Uniontown). I want to pursue the
      western Slovakia towns because my mother heard Andy's wife (Sophia
      Janecko) say she was from "Spis", and she emigrated at age 6 with her
      parents in 1886. Upon further questioning, my mother just assumes he
      also came from that region.

      In Andy's obituary (June 1938) it states that in addition to 3 brothers
      in the US, he had 2 sisters "Mrs. Mary Celec and Mrs. Anna Celec, both
      in Czechoslovakia". I have no information on these Placko sisters.

      I made my first visit to the local LDS history center last week. I'll
      go and order the tapes you listed.

      I am woefully ignorant of the history of Slovaks/Slovakia, Austria
      Hungary, Poland, etc. Is there one book you'd suggest I read to begin
      my education? I'd like to get a clear idea of the big picture
      (politically, geographically, etc).

      Again, thank you.

      Marilyn

      Frank <frankur@...> wrote:
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Marilyn Sandorf
      <msandorf2003@y...> wrote:
      > Dear Frank, Vladimir, Dee and others,
      >
      > First, thank you for all the information.
      >
      > Our family name PLACKO was spelled with the diacritic letter c^ and
      is pronounced "platchko". My mother thinks that Spis is a town or
      village, but now we know better. She says she heard both of her
      grandmothers, whose surnames were PLACKO and FILIPCIK, refer to Spis
      as the place they and their families came from.

      > Based on the information from you, Frank, it looks like I should
      start by ordering the LDS church records (Catholic) from Spis^ska Nova
      Ves.

      > Thanks again for the village information!
      >
      > Marilyn

      Marilyn,

      That would be a good place to begin your research.

      LDS filmed the R.C. parish church records (1626-1895) for Spis^sk��
      Nov�� Ves, Slovakia, formerly known as Igl��, Szepes megye,
      Hungary.
      Text in Latin and Hungarian.

      film #
      17915453-1791545
      17939841-1739842

      Then Spis^sk�� Vlachy and Levoc^a.

      Most of the surnames Placko who emigrated to US were from Brezov�� pod
      Bradlom (Sk) Berez�� (H) located 40 miles NNE of Bratislava
      in western Slovakia.

      They are the best surnames Placko documented too by their American
      family ancestors back to c 1700.

      You will also have to determine where your surnames actually originated
      just like your other Sandorf surnames. They may have originally been
      from Polish Galicia or some other
      country ?

      Which reminds me, where did your surnames Janec^ko settle in the U.S. ?
      There were many in Fayette CO and Westmoreland CO in SW PA and also in
      Chicago IL. (I have lived in both places)

      Frank K

      > Frank <frankur@w...> wrote:
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, CPRAMUKA@a... wrote:
      > > In a message dated 10/4/2003 9:57:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      > SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com writes:
      > >
      > > > The surnames are PLACKO and JANECKO. Can anyone suggest a
      > > > way to find this place?
      > > Marilyn,
      > >
      > > Have you ever thought of PLATKO instead of PLACKO? I've seen the
      > surname PLATKO in old Saris county which borders old Spis county.
      I've
      > also seen surnames with a 'c' in them changed to a 't' and back
      > again.
      > >
      > > Dee Taylor
      > > CPRAMUKA@a...
      >
      > Dee and Marilyn,
      >
      > In Slovakia the surnames Plac^ko and Janec^ko were spelled with the
      > Slovak diacritic letter c^ pron. ch. The surname Platko had no
      > diacritic letters. Expect it is a separate surname.
      > Whether related to surname Plac^ko is another matter ?
      > Surname researcher will have to check the LDS films of
      > parish church records depending upon surname religious
      > affiliation.
      >
      > Can trace the surname Platko to Spis^sk?ov?es, as well as
      > to the Star?'ubovn'a, Poprad, and Pres^ov areas of eastern Slovakia.
      > And to Austrian-Poland (Galicia)
      >

      > Based on the online Slovakia telephone directory the surnames
      Plac^ko
      > - Janec^ko appears to be connected from Levoc^a , Spis^sk?ov?es,
      > and Spis^sk?lachy.
      > This may also have been true in the past.
      >
      > The directory also lists the surname Platko under Spis^sk?ov?es.
      >
      > Frank K
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsordocument.write('');