8579[S-R] Re: Spis and PLACKO

  • Frank
    Oct 6, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Marilyn Sandorf
      <msandorf2003@y...> wrote:
      > Frank,
      >
      > My ancestor Andrej Placko arrived in the US in 1893 at age 18 and
      lived, worked and died in Fayette Co. PA (Uniontown). I want to
      pursue the western Slovakia towns because my mother heard Andy's wife
      (Sophia Janecko) say she was from "Spis", and she emigrated at age 6
      with her parents in 1886. Upon further questioning, my mother just
      assumes he also came from that region.

      > In Andy's obituary (June 1938) it states that in addition to 3
      brothers in the US, he had 2 sisters "Mrs. Mary Celec and Mrs. Anna
      Celec, both in Czechoslovakia". I have no information on these Placko
      sisters.

      > I made my first visit to the local LDS history center last week.
      I'll go and order the tapes you listed.

      > I am woefully ignorant of the history of Slovaks/Slovakia, Austria
      Hungary, Poland, etc. Is there one book you'd suggest I read to begin
      my education? I'd like to get a clear idea of the big picture
      (politically, geographically, etc).

      > Again, thank you.
      >
      > Marilyn

      Well Marilyn,

      Here we go again.
      Your surnames certainly came from interesting places in Europe !
      North-South-East-West.

      Today, there are both surnames bearers Plac^ko and Janec^ko living in
      Spis^ská Nová Ves, Spis^ské Vlachy, and Levoc^a (all in the SNV area)

      There are also some surnames Celec listed under Spis^ské Vlachy.

      That is why I suggested that you also check films for Spis^ské Vlachy
      and Levoc^a after researching your surnames under SNV.

      Before WW I (1914) Austria-Hungary was the territory stretching
      from Austria to Montenegro in the Balkans, plus Czech-Bohemia and
      part of Poland and part of the Ukraine.

      Kingdom of Hungary was the territory stretching from the current
      Czech border to part of current Romania, and including most of
      current Croatia (once part of former Yugoslavia)

      The Slovaks were the first nation to establish an independent state
      in Central Europe about 624 A.D.

      The territory of Slovakia was ruled by Slovak Kings.
      The Czechs were probably under the rule of the Slovaks from about
      889 A.D. to 894 A.D.
      In the 10th c the Slovak Kingdom was destroyed by an alliance of
      Magyars, Czechs and Germans.
      The Hungarians ruled Slovakia from 906 A.D. to 1918 A.D., nearly a
      thousand years.

      Czech-Bohemia (including Moravia 1849-1918) was a kingdom
      (10th century-1918) and part of the Österreichisch-ungarische
      Monarchie, or in English, Austro-Hungarian Monarchy.
      It was an Austrian Kronland (province)
      Both German and Czech languages were used.

      Mähren => Maehren => Marin => Moravia.
      Mähren was an Austrian Crownland located East of Böhmen (Bohemia).
      Its capital was Brünn (Brno).
      Mähren had been a separate crownland until 1849 when it became a part
      of Böhmen (Bohemia) together with Österreichisch-Schleisen
      (Austrian-Silesia).

      The Austrian Habsburgs, accustomed to being imperial, assumed the
      title of Emperor of Austria in 1804. Later, the "dual-monarchy" was
      established, with the Habsburgs as Emperors of Austria and Kings of
      Hungary, the combined realm being known as "Austria-Hungary".

      Before WWI, Slovakia was part of Upper-Hungary (Felvidék) and
      part of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918) and earlier the
      Austrian Empire.
      Hungarian names were used for towns and counties

      In 1920, a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia was created from the
      Austrian Crownlands (Bohemia, Moravia and Austrian-Silesia) and a
      portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and Karpatho-Ukraine).

      (Until this time there was no country called "Czechoslovakia")

      Between 1772 and 1795 the entire territory of the Kingdom of
      Poland was divided between Prussia, Austria and Russia.
      The southern Polish territories around Kraków and Lwów were
      incorporated into the Austrian Empire and renamed "Galicia".

      Galicia was formerly a Austrian Crownland and part of Austro-Hungarian
      Monarchy (1867-1918). Sometimes referred to as Austrian Poland.
      Other names for the area were Galicja (Polish), Galizien (German),
      Halychyna (Ukrainian) and Rus Halicka (Polish).

      In 1918, Galicia was annexed to Poland as "Malopolska" (Little Poland)
      After the 1939 partition of Poland by Germany and Russia, East Galicia
      became part of Ukraine while West Galicia remained in Poland.
      Its former territories are now shared between southern Poland and
      western Ukraine.

      There were a few surnames Celec who settled in the Pittsburgh PA after
      WW I.
      Some Celec surnames may have been from Slovakia , but I don't believe
      that they had originated there.
      But, rather from Styria (E) Steirmark (G) which was a Slovene-speaking
      region in the Klagenfurt region north of Slovenija.
      Its inhabitants called themselves 'Wends', a little-known immigrant
      group, and had refused to associate with Slovenians, preferring to be
      called Austrians.

      Frank K

      > Frank <frankur@w...> wrote:
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Marilyn Sandorf
      > <msandorf2003@y...> wrote:
      > > Dear Frank, Vladimir, Dee and others,
      > >
      > > First, thank you for all the information.
      > >
      > > Our family name PLACKO was spelled with the diacritic letter c^
      and
      > is pronounced "platchko". My mother thinks that Spis is a town or
      > village, but now we know better. She says she heard both of her
      > grandmothers, whose surnames were PLACKO and FILIPCIK, refer to Spis
      > as the place they and their families came from.
      > >
      > > Based on the information from you, Frank, it looks like I should
      > start by ordering the LDS church records (Catholic) from Spis^ska
      Nova
      > Ves.
      > >
      > > Thanks again for the village information!
      > >
      > > Marilyn
      >
      > Marilyn,
      >
      > That would be a good place to begin your research.
      >
      > LDS filmed the R.C. parish church records (1626-1895) for
      > Spis^ská Nová Ves, Slovakia, formerly known as Igló, Szepes
      megye,
      > Hungary.
      > Text in Latin and Hungarian.
      >
      > film #
      > 17915453-1791545
      > 17939841-1739842
      >
      > Then Spis^ské Vlachy and Levoc^a.
      >

      > Most of the surnames Placko who emigrated to US were from
      > Brezová pod Bradlom (Sk) Berezó (H) located 40 miles NNE of
      Bratislava
      > in western Slovakia.
      >
      > They are the best surnames Placko documented too by their American
      > family ancestors back to c 1700.
      >
      > You will also have to determine where your surnames actually
      > originated just like your other Sandorf surnames.
      > They may have originally been from Polish Galicia or some other
      > country ?
      >
      > Which reminds me, where did your surnames Janec^ko settle in
      > the U.S. ?
      > There were many in Fayette CO and Westmoreland CO in SW PA and also
      > in Chicago IL.
      > (I have lived in both places)
      >
      > Frank K
      > >
      > > Frank <frankur@w...> wrote:
      > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, CPRAMUKA@a... wrote:

      > > > Marilyn,
      > > >
      > > > Have you ever thought of PLATKO instead of PLACKO? I've seen the
      > > surname PLATKO in old Saris county which borders old Spis county.
      > I've
      > > also seen surnames with a 'c' in them changed to a 't' and back
      > > again.
      > > >
      > > > Dee Taylor
      > > > CPRAMUKA@a...
      > >
      > > Dee and Marilyn,
      > >
      > > In Slovakia the surnames Plac^ko and Janec^ko were spelled with
      > > the Slovak diacritic letter c^ pron. ch.
      > > The surname Platko had no diacritic letters.
      > > Expect it is a separate surname.
      > > Whether related to surname Plac^ko is another matter ?
      > > Surname researcher will have to check the LDS films of
      > > parish church records depending upon surname religious
      > > affiliation.
      > >
      > > Can trace the surname Platko to Spis^sk?ov?es, as well as
      > > to the Star?'ubovn'a, Poprad, and Pres^ov areas of eastern
      Slovakia.
      > > And to Austrian-Poland (Galicia)
      > >

      > > Based on the online Slovakia telephone directory the surnames
      > Plac^ko
      > > - Janec^ko appears to be connected from Levoc^a , Spis^sk?ov?es,
      > > and Spis^sk?lachy.
      > > This may also have been true in the past.
      > >
      > > The directory also lists the surname Platko under Spis^sk?ov?es.
      > >
      > > Frank K
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      email

      Service.