7820RE: [S-R] new - surnames STRANC, RAK, YELLENBERGER, villages MACVANSKA, LACARAK, MIKITOVICH, HESSE

    Aug 2, 2003
      You will really need to establish your GPs place of birth if you want to
      make any progress.
      Some places you can find that in include:
      1. Social Security Application (if working 1936+) What year(s) did they
      die?
      2. Immigration records (you should petition the INS for their records -
      what approx. year did they immigrate?
      3. Church records in the US - marriage (were they married in the US?)
      birth records of their children (not on the certificates, but in the
      church record book)
      Have you done any of the above? You really should, because you need
      some solid evidence of their birthplace before you reach across the pond
      to start looking deeply. Hate to see you in the wrong country!
      I have found US census and death certificates to be generally un-helpful
      with regard to place of birth.

      It is helpful to estimate:
      - year of birth, marriage, death, immigration
      - do you have any sense of the ethnicity of each GP. It seems like the
      GF might be German and the GM be another?
      - initial destination upon arrival in America
      Given the wide range of countries being guessed at, it is productive to
      know: What language did they speak? What religion were they? More
      info posted is better than less info at this point.

      In using www.ellisisland.org have you utilized Steve Morse's One-step
      pages, which let you search by sounds-like names?
      http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ Use the short form.

      Now, you have suggested the following town names:
      lacarak,mikitovich,macvanska, and hesse. You can use
      http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm to search for
      sounds-like names.
      Some possibilities include:
      LACARAK 4500 1934 N Serbia 47.1 miles WNW of Belgrade (there is an
      unspecified river nearby) This village was in Austria-Hungary until
      1918 and spelled the same way by the Hungarians.

      A shetetlseeker proximity search
      http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/locrad.htm yields:
      LACARAK 4500 1934 N Serbia 0.0 miles N
      PACARAK 4500 1934 V Serbia 0.0 miles N
      MACVANSKA MITROVICA 4458 1936 N Serbia 2.8 miles SE
      MALA MITROVICA 4458 1936 V Serbia 2.8 miles SE
      MITROVICA 4458 1936 V Serbia 2.8 miles SE
      SRPSKI MITROVICA 4458 1936 V Serbia 2.8 miles SE
      MITROVIC 4458 1937 V Serbia 3.4 miles SE
      MITROVITZA 4458 1937 V Serbia 3.4 miles SE
      MITROWITZ 4458 1937 V Serbia 3.4 miles SE

      I think you'll see that MACVANSKA and MITROWITZ are nearby. In fact,
      right across the river is a village named MACVANSKA MITROVICA. That may
      be an ringer for you. So you had the spelling a bit off on MITROWITZ
      but that's all part of the plan. Now remember, you can use Morse's
      1-step to search on specific village names:
      29 Rack,Andrija Lacarak 1906 27 Passenger Record Text Manifest
      Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      675 Rak,Adam Lacarak, Croatia 1913 4 Passenger Record Text Manifest
      Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      676 Rak,Anna Lacsarak, Hung 1907 22 Passenger Record Text Manifest
      Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      677 Rak,Petar Lacarek, Slavonia, Hung. 1907 29 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      678 Rak,Suzana Lacarak, Croatia 1913 32 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      679 Rak,Terezia Lacsarak, Hung 1907 0 Passenger Record Text Manifest
      Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      680

      In fact, there are 41 entries from LACARAK (not even considering the
      spelling variations). I would review them all for clues:
      1 Acimovic,Mijo Lacarak 1905 33 Passenger Record Text Manifest
      Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      2 Adamovic,Lorka Lacarak, Hungary 1910 21 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      3 Balint,Ferencz Lacarak, Hungary 1911 45 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      4 Bogic,Stevab Lacarak, Hungary 1912 35 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      5 Celjuk,Janko Lacarak 1905 41 Passenger Record Text Manifest
      Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      6 Fradl,Peter Lacarak, Austria 1909 35 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      7 Fraidl,Anton Lacarak, Hungary 1911 17 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      8 Fraidl,Peter Lacarak, Hungary 1911 36 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      9 Frandl,Josef Lacarak, Hungary 1912 32 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      10 Gjurkov,Simo Lacarak, Croatia 1912 21 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      11 Gjurkov,Vaso Lacarak, Croatia 1912 24 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      12 Hammer,Georg Lacarak, Austria 1909 30 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      13 Homer,Petar Lacarak, Hungary 1912 35 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      14 Hrujakovics,Rada Lacarak, Ungary or Hungary 1910 28 Passenger
      Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      15 Jankovic,Creja Lacarak, Hungary 1910 41 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      16 Kockar,Zivan Lacarak 1903 36 Passenger Record Text Manifest
      Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      17 Krizsak,Mihaly Lacarak, Hungary 1911 46 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      18 Lazic,Slavko Lacarak, Hungary 1914 16 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      19 Milkovic,Roska Lacarak, Hungary 1913 32 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      20 Molnar,Juliana Lacarak, Hungary 1910 24 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      21 Molnar,Nucka Lacarak, Hungary 1910 14 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      22 Molnar,Sandor Lacarak, Hungary 1910 37 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      23 Muller,Matija Lacarak 1903 37 Passenger Record Text Manifest
      Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      24 Nikolic,Milinko Lacarak, Hungary 1914 27 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      25 Obrovacki,Johan Lacarak, Ungary or Hungary 1910 27 Passenger
      Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      26 Petrovic,Nilola Lacarak 1905 31 Passenger Record Text Manifest
      Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      27 Prokopovic,Andrya Lacarak, Croatia 1913 44 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      28 Prokopovic,Stefan Lacarak 1903 25 Passenger Record Text Manifest
      Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      29 Rack,Andrija Lacarak 1906 27 Passenger Record Text Manifest
      Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      30 Rak,Adam Lacarak, Croatia 1913 4 Passenger Record Text Manifest
      Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      31 Rak,Suzana Lacarak, Croatia 1913 32 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      32 Smidt,Franc Lacarak, Hungary 1912 27 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      33 Stekovic,Stefan Lacarak, Hungary 1914 44 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      34 Sztakics,Nikodim Lacarak, Hung 1909 32 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      35 Teodorovic,Zivan Lacarak, Hungary 1910 25 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      36 Vitasovic,Bzanko Lacarak, Hungary 1910 25 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      37 Vlodisa...,Veselin Lacarak 1903 44 Passenger Record Text Manifest
      Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      Lacsarak
      1 Antal,Szabo Lacsarak 1907 38 Passenger Record Text Manifest
      Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      2 Babinszki,Andras Lacsarak 1907 28 Passenger Record Text Manifest
      Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      3 Balazs,Zuzana Lacsarak 1907 25 Passenger Record Text Manifest
      Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      4 Balint,Ferencz Lacsarak 1907 41 Passenger Record Text Manifest
      Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      5 Bariatarovic,Milan Lacsarak, Austria 1907 41 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      6 Krizak,Mihaly Lacsarak 1907 44 Passenger Record Text Manifest
      Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      7 Radofevic,Mifo Lacsarak, Austria 1907 38 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      8 Rak,Anna Lacsarak, Hung 1907 22 Passenger Record Text Manifest
      Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      9 Rak,Terezia Lacsarak, Hung 1907 0 Passenger Record Text Manifest
      Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      10 Rudja,Pragie Lacsarak 1906 46 Passenger Record Text Manifest
      Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      11 Trbovic,Jandrija Lacsarak, Austria 1907 42 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      12 Vladisavljevic,Dusan Lacsarak, Austria 1907 25 Passenger Record
      Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      13 Vugin,Krista Lacsarak, Austria 1907 18 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      14 Vugin,Slava Lacsarak, Austria 1907 21 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      15 Vuletris,Mikaly Lacsarak, Hungary 1909 22 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      16 Zidisin,Milovan Lacsarak, Hungary 1911 39 Passenger Record Text
      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image

      Hesse is such a common sounding name that you may have to find it
      another way. That, combined with YELLENBERGER, both germanic sounding
      names, suggest this individual is from elsewhere.

      The above Shtetlseeker has links to Mapquest maps. I suggest you pop
      the names into Shtetlseeker and click on the maps and look at adjacent
      villages. Remember, Mapquest is a contemporary map, so old names may be
      missing. You can go to http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm
      for a list of all counties and excellent (but large) 1910 maps of each
      county in Hungary. It's up to you to figure out the correct county for
      Croatian, my expertise lies in Upper Hungary.

      You have ethnic names in the mix. magdalena and yellenburger are both
      German names. Of the countries you mentioned, the Czech Republic is
      where the majority of ethnic Germans resided until 1945. So this may be
      a stronger possibility.

      It would be of great help to locate the SABE river as this is a unique
      geographic identifier. In Serbia, there is a village along that river
      called SABAC. You're in the wrong forum to find experts in Croatia
      (Yugoslavia), but it's a start. Get out a Yugo map and see what you can
      find. I'll bet this is it.

      "froney stranc" - Froney sounds like a nick name.

      As a general note to all researchers, it's best to CAPITALIZE all your
      names and villages in correspondence, then entitle your email message
      subject with these names and locations.

      I'd also suggest you get over to a Yugo or Croat forum and post this
      info there. They can probably offer better pointers than I.

      Well, you should be off to a great start by now. Enough of these
      villages are close enough to each other that it is worth a look.

      Good Luck,
      Bill Tarkulich