      From: David J Hanich [mailto:dhanich@...]
      Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 5:03 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: Help please !!

      My grandfather's name was Fedor (Frank) Hanich, born in 1887.
      Last year my only surviving uncle sent me some documents my uncles had
      kept all these years, including my grandfather's birth/baptism
      certificate. There were also a lot of legal papers which I am still
      attempting to translate, but have made some progress. They were legal
      records of transfering property to my great-grandfather, Michail Salapka
      Hanich and to Janos Salapka Hanich in the 1880s, and again when he died
      in1902 and the inheritance passed to my grandfather and his 6 siblings:
      Constantin, Elek, Gyorgy, Andras, Julia, and Vaszily. Also when my
      grandfather sold his part back to his brothers who remained in Europe,
      at 800 korunas (for which I have no idea of the value.)
      My uncle is amazed at the progress I've made in the past year.
      I was able to find the ships my grandparents arrived on, and the dates.
      >From my grandparents' marriage license I deciphered the names of both
      their parents. They were married in Perth Amboy, NJ in 1913; my
      grandmother was from Saris, but my paternal great grandparents were
      named Michail Salapka Hanich and Anna Szabo. My maternal
      great-grandparents were Janos Kravcik and Maria Surin. (I think I've
      mixed up the Hungarian, Slovak and English spellings of names throughout
      all this, but it gets tiresome with 3 versions to deal with, doesn't
      On the 1910 map of Ung megye I can see Egreshat
      (Vulsinki/Vilshynky) and right next to it, in Hungarian, what looks like
      Szemereho. It's at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/gonczy/ung.htm.

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic