      From: "Mary Johnson" <mhmj1117@...>
      To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 8:55 AM
      Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: Hungarian town location?

      Is MARTUSTALU the correct spelling? because I still cannot find it. Mary

      Frank <frankur@...> wrote:--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Mary
      Johnson <mhmj1117@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hi, could use some help. on the www.ellisisland.org site, my
      grandmother and
      > 5 of her children (my mother included) returned from a trip to
      Hungary where they had
      > visited relatives. Her name was Hrubi, Maria arriving 23 May 1900
      and the passenger
      > record listed the place of residence as MARTUSTALU in Hungary. I
      have scoured old
      > maps and have not had any luck finding it. My cousin said it is
      near what was
      > called Nagybecskerek now known as Zrenjanin. Any help greatly
      appreciated.
      > Thank you, Maryhelen Johnson

      Donauschwaben village

      Großbetschkerek

      Village Names:

      German: Großbetschkerek, Betschkerek
      Official: Zrenjanin
      Hungarian: Nagybecskerek
      Spelling and/or dialect variants: Petrovgrad

      Location:

      Country: Yugoslavia
      70km N of Belgrade
      Postal Code: 23000
      Railroad station: Zrenjanin

      Population:

      1931: 5904 Germans

      Genealogical Records:

      Village name in FHL records: Gross Betschkerek, Nagybecskerek
      Church records available at FHL: Christenings 1753-1815,
      Marriages 1753-1834, Deaths 1753-1816
      FHL Microfilm Nr. 0858415, 0858416

      Miscellaneous:

      Founded: Germans settled in 1728; expanded in 1764
      Bibliography
      Location of a a prisoner camp for Germans held by partisans
      during World War II.

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT