7237Re: [S-R] Re: surname spelling changes

  • Anne Sprentz
    Apr 29, 2003
      Frank,

      Thank you.:-) I saw those Sprencz's on the EI manifests. Those could be
      related to my Mihaly Sprencz but without further research, I'm leaving them
      alone. You can find the record of my Mihaly Sprencz by typing in Mihlay
      Spaner. Yeah, I know, it looks nothing like Sprencz, but Spaner is what the
      transcriber saw. And as a side note, it took me forever and a day to find
      him on the Ellis Island ship manifests, and can you believe his son took me
      months to find on the 1930 census because they had transcribe Spruetz
      instead of Sprentz.

      Spaner, Mihlay Arrival date 1 March, 1904 Port of Departure Antwerp
      age 24 single
      Magyar
      Last Residence, S A Ujhely
      Going to Dayton Oh to join brother Joe Prince 1463 W Dakota. ( who came to
      US in 1892)

      So... maybe Mihaly wanted to be like his big brother and spell his name the
      same way?? :-)) I have been in contact with Joszef's ggrandson, who has
      never said Joszef spelled it Sprencz, and I've not found him with any
      Sprencz spelling. And this ggrandson insists that Jozsef is Slovak. I've
      never found anything to prove either brother was Slovak. This ggrandson is
      older than me and has elderly family members who say Slovak, too. But.. I
      don't know at this point, and have not gotten that far back in my research
      for it to matter, really.. I'd just be happy to find Mihaly/Michael/Mike on
      the 1930 census, or find a death record for him.

      Anyhow, thanks, to you and also thanks to Thomas for replying to my post.

      Anne Sprentz

      Do you know who killed my father?
      JOHN SPRENTZ, murdered 1983 in
      Ecorse, Michigan.... see my website for