7125Re: [S-R] Re: surname gender affix -ova

  • William F Brna
    Mar 29, 2003
      June,

      May I suggest that you try every possible spelling combination of your
      grandmother's name in the EI records? I had tried to find my father's
      record ever since Ellis Island went on line. I found my uncle's record
      but could not find my father's. Last week,after reviewing the soundex
      records for NY arrivals, I found my uncle's record twice, once spelled
      "Brna" and once spelled "Brua". It was the same record but when the
      soundex list was compiled, it was read properly once and once in error.
      His first name was Tomas and it was recorded as "Jamas". In reviewing
      the soundex record, I found 9 people whose surname was "Brna" (none of
      them my father) and three in which the surname was spelled "Brno". These
      were three children. I then went back to the Ellis Island records, using
      the spelling "Brno" and found my father's record. You must remember that
      many of the people who came through Ellis Island may have been
      illiterate, to some degree, and the immigration authorities were not all
      that great when it came to recording Central European names, nor were
      they able to read properly what an immigrant may have written.

      Bill Brna

      Only $9.95 per month!
      Visit www.juno.com
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic