6892Re: [S-R] Maczko, Macko, Orendas

  • squinch42 <vpfezziwig@msn.com>
    Feb 8, 2003
      Do you have an idea when your relatives came through Ellis Island and
      have you checked spelling variations of their names through the site?
      What was John Emil's wife's maiden name?

      At that time period, much of the area between Market Street and Third
      St was Slavic/Rusyn with a Jewish section along Passaic Street. Many
      Slovaks went to St Michael's - partly because people there spoke a
      language they knew. A little later in time it would have been St
      Peter & Paul's RO on Monroe St, I believe, just past Market.

      Yes, there is a strong likelihood your grandmother was GC if the baby
      is in St Peter's. My paternal grandparents and others are there.

      Have you tried asking the Passaic Vital Statistics for a copy of the
      baby's birth certificate ($10)? It might supply another set of
      spelling variations, so don't be surprised. I was born in Passaic.
      When I sought to obtain records from the period you identify, I found
      many are missing as midwives sometimes "forgot" to register the
      births. A fallback would be to write to the state but they now seek
      proof of a relationship to the party you are seeking. Sigh....

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Alyssa Eppich" <eppicha@a...>
      wrote:
      > John, thanks for your help! I knew that you would come through.
      Orendas was a particularly hard name for me to trace as I truly
      thought it was Hungarian. I did find Macko in the towns you listed,
      plus some others like Nitra and Jaklovce, but have not gotten
      further. There are also Mackos in Margecany.
      > Although my great grandfather had a middle name, their first child
      Emil(b. 1902d.1903) was buried in St. Peter's Greek Catholic Cemetery
      in Garfield New Jersey. Could it be that Mary was GC?

      Szecspolyanka, which is
      > now Sec^ovska Polianka in Eastern Slovakia. When I searched the
      directory
      > for using Ore for the surname and Sec for the town I came up with
      two
      > Orendas in Sec^ovska Polianka and one in Sec^ovce. Doing a
      search on Mac
      > and Sec, I came up with five Macko in Sec^ovce and none in
      Sec^ovska
      > Polianka. I found a Jan Macko in Dvorianky about four miles
      south of
      > Sec^ovska Polianka. Sec^ovska Polianka is about 10 miles NNE
      from
      > Sec^ovce. The fact that John had a middle name would indicate
      that he was
      > probably Roman Catholic. Greek Catholics are baptized and
      confirmed at the
      > same time and normally do not have a middle name. My father's
      name was
      > Maczko when he emigrated and it was Anglicized to Matsko early on.
      >
      > John M.
      >

      > >They emigrated to Passaic New Jersey where they
      > >had a grocery store at 230 Market St. Any help would be greatly
      > >appreciated. I do have photos that could be uploaded, if anyone
      > >thinks that would help. Many thanks!
      > >Alyssa
      > >

      > >To unsubscribe from this group, go to
      > >http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank