      From: Frank <frankur@...>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 4:33 PM
      Subject: [S-R] Re: Help needed with a surname...

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@n...>
      wrote:
      > Dear Frank,
      > I found those four under the surname Kormancsik.
      > The surname Korman, however, is also a legitimate slovak surname, of
      which I have found many on church records.
      > I would bet, Korman bas the basic surname and Kormancik was derived
      from it..
      > Regards,
      > Vladimir

      Dear Vladimir,

      You are quite correct.

      Kormancik (Kormanc^ik)
      So, -c^ik or -cik were modifiers to the actual root name Korman.

      And misspelled in ship manifest as Komanczik and Komancsik.
      >From Buková (Sk) Bikszárd (H), Bernolákovo (Sk) Cseklész (H),
      and Oravské Veselé (Sk) Veszele (H)

      Korman was the 'root word'.
      Slovak diminutive forms -ko, -ak, -ek, and -ik were used as surname
      affixes indicating small size or state /quality (of smallness)

      Slovak surnames :
      Korman
      Kormanak, Kormanik Kormancik, Kormanc^ik, Kormanovic, etc.

      You are in Slovensko.
      I haven't been there since 1946 and am not current on surname
      spellings.

      Regards,

      Frank

      States
      > in
      > > the early part of last century. Here she married a Polish man by
      the
      > > last name of Ziemba. My problem is that I know her maiden name
      > > was "Kormancyk", but I'm not sure about the spelling since I've
      > > searched numerous databases with no result. If anyone knows
      anything
      > > about the proper spelling of this surname, a reply would be much
      > > appreciated.
      >
      > The Hungarian letter 'cs' was usually equivalent to Slovak
      > diacritical letter c^ = ch.
      > In surnames the letters i/y were usually interchangeable.
      > You could expect variants of the Slovak spelling for Kormancyk.
      > For example, 4 surnames Kormancik emigrated to the U.S.
      > from Veszele (H) Hungary, which is Oravské Veselé (Sk) located
      > in western Slovakia.
      >
      > Some emigrants changed or shortened names after arrival in the
      > U.S.
      > For example, => Korman.
      >
      > That is not the problem.
      > How to identify which Ziemba was your GM's spouse ?
      > What was his first name and they married and settled where ?
      >
      > 488 surnames Ziemba emigrated to the U.S. via Ellis Island
      1892-1924.
      > Gedcom files list over 400 surname Ziemba bearers.
      > There are thousands of surnames Ziemba bearers just in the U.S.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Service.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor