6660Re: [S-R] Jewish records - thoughts please

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Dec 1, 2002
      Dear Maura,
      This is a tricky question.
      If you can not find them, what does that mean?
      Do you know they existed?
      If you have their birth, then you must know their parents, and according to
      names, you can see, if anyone was Jewish.
      However, if you are looking for a marriage of a known person, then it could
      have been just about anywhere.
      Now, you may find births of children in a town, but not marriage of the
      parents. In such case, this was probably not far away.
      In my experience, I do not recall a Catholic person to take Jewish religion.
      I do not hink, this was even possible. But, several Jews got baptized and
      became Catholic. However, surname almost always remained Jewish, so easy to
      And, Jews never lived for hundreds of years in one place. They migrated very
      much, even long distances.
      If you are looking for the marriage, how do you know, they got married?
      Maybe they died in another place, or married much further away, in larger
      cities. I often find such marriages in lerger cities.