6281Re: [S-R] russian transulation?

  • Frank
    Oct 13, 2002
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., McKee June <junemckee@y...> wrote:
      > it is possible. I will have to give her a call and
      > check the spelling again. I did think her name was
      > katerina but not sure how the spelling went.
      > http://faith.yahoo.com

      Most surname researchers whose ancestors emigrated from central and
      eastern Europe came via American East Coast ports of entry.
      We tend to forget that after the Russian Revolution there was a
      displacement of some Russians to eastern Russia and China and
      elsewhere in Asia.
      We also tend to think that only the Chinese emigrated to the U.S. via
      San Francisco.

      Remember, for pre-1906 naturalization records you must figure out
      where the immigrant did (or could) naturalize, and look for that
      court's records.
      If it was a federal court, those records are likely at the
      appropriate Regional National Archives. After 1906 the procedure
      is just the same, except that there was a copy of ALL naturalization
      records since September 27, 1906, filed with the U.S. Immigration
      and Naturalization Service. So if you cannot determine which court
      naturalized the immigrant after 1906, or if the courthouse burned
      and the post-1906 records were lost, or you could request a copy from
      the INS under the Freedom of Information Act.

      You can e-mail the regional National Archives (NARA) Pacific Region
      (San Francisco) to search their surname naturalization index.

      Email: sanbruno.archives@...

      Maintains retired records from Federal agencies and courts in northern
      California, Hawaii, Nevada except Clark County, the Pacific Trust
      Territories, and American Samoa.

      The facility is located in San Bruno, California, approximately 12
      miles south of San Francisco, about 5 minutes from San Francisco
      International Airport.

      Request a surname naturalization record search and provide
      as much as you can of the following:

      Date of birth
      Place of birth
      Year of immigration
      Ship and port of arrival
      Year of naturalization
      Marital status
      Names of spouse and dependents
      Residence at time of naturalization

      Also provide your name and U.S. Postal mail address.

      NARA will also respond to your query by e-mail.
      If located , upon payment of $ 6 ? fee will mail you his
      naturalization papers.

      You will receive acknowledgement of request following a few days
      (or hours, depending on volume of requests) later with their answer.

      Her name was most likely Katherine/Catherine (E) Ekaterina (Russian)

      E K A T E | | |/| H A (Cyrillic)

      E K A T E R EE N A

      There are a number of place names Kazan' located in Russia.

      A Walter Panamaroff was born in San Francisco CA in 1920.
      There are some Panamaroff surnames going back to the 1840s on Kodiak
      Island, Alaska.
      There are still living surname Panamaroff bearers in Alaska.
      The Russians had settled Alaska early on.
      The U.S. had purchased the territory of Alaska from Russia back in
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic