5854Re: Plavec records for Kanyuch

  • frankly1us
    Aug 1, 2002
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "lacer55" <Joeanna@l...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      > I have been researching my family in Plavec and I found my great
      > great grandfathers birth in 1821. I have noticed that after his
      > fathers surname of Kanyuch it has alias and another name. I see
      this
      > for a few other Kanyuch's also. Can anyone give me any hints as to
      > what this implies? Thanks
      > Joeanna
      > Joeanna@l...

      In villages throughout Europe, where there were several or more
      surname bearers with the same first names, a system of binames or
      aliases evolved.
      Today, in much the same way a married woman might hyphenate her
      marrried and maiden names (Married-Maiden)

      Usually a nickname, or alias was given the second surname bearer to
      distinguish him from the first surname bearer.
      The name left of hyphen was the original surname and one to right
      was the alias.

      Over time some binames became branch surnames.
      Sometimes the names were reversed with the names exchanged from one
      side to the other.
      And sometimes the surname bearers were not related.
      Some such names were recycled over following generations in a
      village.
      In addition, some surname bearers used one surname when resident in
      their village of origin and another surname when traveling away from
      village.
      Very confusing.

      Binames (nicknames), or surnames were rare throughout Europe
      (800-1250 A.D.), and most names recorded during this period bear only
      a given name.
      The few individuals recorded with a biname bear a patronymic, formed
      from the father's first name.
      Between 1250-1526 Christian and saint's names became the standard.
      Binames or surnames included patronymics, but also the city of
      origin or residence.
      - those derived from the Christian name or profession of the father
      (patronymics)

      Why the 1526 cutoff ?
      This is the year that Croatia and Hungary fell to the Turks at the
      Battle of Mohacs, Hungary.
      The Hungarians ruled Slovakia for nearly a thousand years
      (906 A.D.-1918 A.D)

      Maly' Sulín (Slovak) Szulin (H) was established in 1600. It was
      part of the property of his lordship Plavec^ * and his own Croatian nobilit=
      y, who had established the neighboring village of Vel'ké Sulín (Sk) at the e=
      nd of the 16th century.

      Towns of Plavnica and Plavec^ were also part of the property of the
      Croatian nobility.
      * Plavnica, Plavec^ and nearby Plavec^ castle (Plavec^sky' hrad)

      The LDS-Mormons has filmed all the parish church records at six
      of the seven regional Slovak State Archives in Slovakia.

      The LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1743-1895) for
      Plavec^ nad Popradom (Sabinov), Slovakia; formerly Palocsa (H),
      Sáros megye (county), Hungary.
      Text in Latin, Hungarian, and Slovak.

      film #
      1793212-1793215

      Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

      LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

      In Slovak the matriky (parish church records)
      Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
      Sobás^ení = Marriages
      Zomrelí = Deaths

      In Hungarian the matriky are titled
      anyakönyvek.
      Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

      In Latin the matriky are titled matricula.
      Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
      Matricula Copulatorum = MarriageRecords
      Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records

      The surnames Kanuk, Kanyik, and Kanuch also appear in Slovakia.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic